The UK urgently needs to embrace the Passivhaus approach if we are to respond to the threat of climate change effectively and cost-effectively.
Leading sustainable building products supplier Green Building Store is today (Wednesday 7th January 2009) launching a new range of Passivhaus products which can help create homes and buildings which use 90% less energy for heating than standard UK buildings. Passivhaus is a school of design that has developed over the last 20 years in Germany, Europe and North America. By using the simple 'tea cosy' effect of super-efficient insulation and excellent airtightness coupled with a 'comfort ventilation' system, Passivhaus design can create healthy and comfortable homes that require minimal heating. Heat generated from the sun through windows, occupants' (and pets'!) body heat and cooking and showering activities are often all that are needed to warm a Passivhaus home.
Green Building Store believes Passivhaus design offers the most effective - and cost-effective - way to construct 'low carbon' homes and cut CO2 emissions from buildings. Passivhaus design is based on the principle that reducing heating loss to the minimum is the most cost-effective way of creating a 'low carbon' building. Green Building Store believes the UK's strategy on 'low carbon' homes needs to be urgently revised to put greater emphasis on energy efficiency, airtightness and other Passivhaus design principles and away from 'eco-bling' and expensive bolt-on renewables.
"We have introduced our new Passivhaus range to accelerate the adoption of Passivhaus design and construction in the UK. Passivhaus building design has been widely adopted in Europe and has recently had high level support from the European Parliament. The UK urgently needs to embrace the Passivhaus approach if we are to respond to the threat of climate change effectively and cost-effectively." Chris Herring, Director, Green Building Store
Green Building Store's new Passivhaus range offers many of the key elements for Passivhaus homes and is ideal for new-build projects as well as eco-renovations:
* Passivhaus windows/ doors: Among the most thermally-efficient windows/ doors available in the UK, with whole window U values as low as 0.65 W/m2K. Available in FSC 100% timber or timber/ fibreglass composite.
* Airtightness membranes and tapes: Airtightness products using high performance tapes and 'intelligent' vapour checks can help buildings achieve the high levels of airtightness required for Passivhaus buildings, as well as protecting building structures from condensation, mould, rot and damp.
* Comfort Ventilation (MVHR) systems: Comfort Ventilation (also known as Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery) is an essential part of Passivhaus building design and helps ensure high quality ventilation while retaining heat in the building, through use of a highly efficient heat exchanger.
* Design & Build: Green Building Store's sister company Green Building Co. now offers a Passivhaus and 'low carbon' design and build service in the West Yorkshire and the North-West regions.
Green Building Store's Passivhaus products will be showcased at the sustainable design exhibition (Earl's Court, London 3rd - 5th March) Ecobuild (Stand 1833). Green Building Store Director Chris Herring will be speaking at Ecobuild on the urgent need for Passivhaus design in the UK (Ecobuild 'road to zero carbon' seminar 'Creating a Passivhaus culture' Tuesday 3rd March 2009 10.30am).
For more information on Green Building Store's new Passivhaus products and services go to: www.passivhausproducts.co.uk or ring: 01484 461705.
Notes for the Editor:
Launched in 1995, Green Building Store is a specialist manufacturer/ supplier of: FSC timber windows and doors; water-efficient toilets and sanitaryware; Passivhaus products; and natural building materials. www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk
Green Building Store is a member of the AECB (sustainable building association) and actively supports its promotion of Passivhaus design standards through the CarbonLite Programme. www.carbonlite.org.uk
* Quirky tea cosy !
* Ecopassiv Passivhaus window section
* Passivhaus windows/ doors in situ
* Passivhaus air flow (MVHR systems)
* Pro Clima airtightness membranes & tapes images
High-res jpegs available to download from:
Outlining main features of Passivhaus design and looking at construction products needed. Generic/ non-advertorial - can be tailored to any audience and word length requirements.
Making the case for Passivhaus design and criticising current UK approach to low carbon homes and buildings. Generic/ non-advertorial - can be tailored to any audience and word length requirements.
For more information on this press release, please contact Chayley Collis on 01484 461705 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours contact: 0798 33355955
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Green Building Store in the following categories: Home & Garden, Environment & Nature, Construction & Property, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.