Scorching hair straighteners are causing havoc in the home with women burning their carpets in the quest for a perfect barnet.
Swinton, the UK’s leading high street insurance retailer is warning people of the dangers of hair straighteners after it revealed a hair raising 16% increase in the number of household insurance claims for burnt carpets due to straightening irons.
The temperatures of some hair straighteners available on the high street can soar to a sizzling 200°C and if left on the floor switched on will start burning the carpet after just ten minutes.
British women spend more than £200m a year on hair straighteners and other electronic styling equipment*. According to an online Swinton survey, eight out of ten women own a pair of hair straighteners, and not only are they proving to be every woman’s best friend but every man’s as well.
A staggering 20% of men have admitted to owning a pair of hair straighteners themselves or sharing them with a partner.
Many home insurance policies won’t cover damage to carpets caused by burning unless they have taken out additional accidental damage cover. Swinton advises people to look at their policies to find out whether they’re covered and if not then speak to a broker about adding it.
Steve Chelton, Insurer Development manager at Swinton said: “Everyone wants to look their best and styling your hair is an important part of feeling good about yourself. We don’t want to stop people using electronic hair styling equipment but we want to warn people to use them correctly and follow safety guidelines. Burnt carpets can be easily avoided by following a couple of simple rules, don’t leave the straighteners on for long periods, take the plug out after use and don’t rest straighteners on flammable surfaces.”
* According to [http://www.hairstyles-7.com]
For more information contact Michael Travers, Anoushka Foster or Sarah Challinor at Spinoza Kennedy Vesey PR on 0161 838 7770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• With 580 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK’s largest high street insurance retailer
• Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
• Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
• With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of SKV Communications Ltd in the following categories: Personal Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.