The speedtest results for January 2009 show Virgin retaining their lead as the UK's fastest broadband provider for the fifth month in a row. The results show that O2/Be have slipped from an average of 5.9Mbps to 5.3Mbps.
"O2/Be's results, while still impressive compared to the majority of broadband suppliers, do show a downward trend. They look to be victims of their own success after rapid expansion in their user base over the past year." Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during January 2009 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"However what is really encouraging is that O2/Be, almost uniquely for a major broadband supplier, has held it's hands up and admitted they have had an issue recently and are investing millions of pounds immediately into upgrading the parts of their network where problems have occurred, and this is something that we applaud" adds Dawson.
The average broadband speed UK wide held steady over January at around the 3.6Mbps mark.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.