London, UK, 10th February, 2009.
Hard up British blokes are ditching pricey treats in favour of credit-crunch proof ways of romancing loved ones this Valentine’s Day. 1.6 million even admit they are following in the footsteps of Byron, Keats, and Shakespeare by penning their own love poems this February 14th.
This is according to research from voice-to-text company SpinVox which reveals two thirds of men (65%) are planning to make significant cuts in spending this Valentines day.
Women hoping for expensive, grand romantic gestures this year are likely to be left bitterly disappointed – the report also shows that almost three-quarters (72%) of British men are going to be leaving their romantic planning until the very last minute this year – too late to book romantic meals or trips to the movies. One in ten men are even planning to present their loved one with a home-made card as a romantic gift as the recession bites.
In order to help love-stricken ‘Recession Romeos’, SpinVox has teamed up with Christopher Mulvey, emeritus professor of English at the University of Winchester to provide a helpful five step guide for wannabe Wordsworths who don’t know where to start.
To give the budding poets an extra helping hand, SpinVox has also created an interactive web page www.moblog.net/RecessionRomeos/
– lovestruck men can call a dedicated phone line - 0161 369 6432 - and their love poems will instantly be published.
Professor Mulvey said, “It’s hard to put a price on romance, but these are hard times, and the credit crunch is making it difficult to express your feelings through physical gifts. Nonetheless, lovers can give the object of your affection the richest present in the world in the form of a hand-crafted, heart-felt poem.”
Professor Mulvey’s Guide to Poetry for Recession Romeos
There are five simple routes to creating a memorable poem for Valentine’s day, some of them harder than others.
1. Compute it – Basically, cheating. Type ‘poetry engine’ into Google, and you’ll find simple software that can help you to soften any heart. Type in some key words and let the computer do the rest.
2. Shape it - Shape your poem out of lines from the great old love poems-the ones that break your heart just to read them. Run a quick web search, and you'll find them by the dozen. Take a selection of best lines and weave them together. And why not customise things a little as you go along?-'O, my Sarah’s like a red, red rose,' etc. Be sure to only use old poems; anything written after 1900 might belong to someone - Wikipedia will tell you the dates.
3. Write it – The serious option. Read a few classic love poems to limber up. Think of a special moment. Keep it simple and write from the heart. Don’t try and be clever, cheap or sloppy.
4. Dream it – The hardest way. The best love poems are dreams, visions or fantasties. It might be best not to try and write one at all, and just let it come. As Bob Dylan said ‘I think a poet is anyone who wouldn’t call himself a poet.’
5. Deliver it – This can help turn a lovely poem into something really memorable, but needs to be chosen carefully! Would turning up in your beloveds place of work to read the poem really go down well? SpinVox can help you do something subtle, yet meaningful.
Christina Domecq a, co-founder and CEO at Spinvox said, “Those looking to woo successfully needn’t spend the earth to do so. It’s no secret that everyone is looking to save a little bit of cash this year and romantics everywhere are starting to consider less traditional ways of expressing their emotions.”
SpinVox is a voice to text service designed to make life simpler and more convenient. You can use SpinVox to receive voicemail messages automatically converted into text and email or make notes to yourself on the go with the Memo service. You can also speak SMS texts, blog posts and social network updates, all by simply dialling a number on your mobile phone and leaving a message which will be automatically converted to text and posted on your chosen site. For users with several blogs and networks, a new ‘Ping through SpinVox’ service is available that simultaneously broadcasts spoken updates automatically converted to text to thirty of the most popular social networking sites.
SpinVox is free to anyone wishing to use the service to create memos, update their blog or social network. Visit www.spinvox.com for more information. You can also Ping through SpinVox by signing up at http://ping.fm/
– ends –
For more information, or to arrange interviews,please contact the SpinVox team at Cow PR on 0207 234 9150
NOTES TO EDITORS:
SpinVox® is the world's largest privately-held speech technology company, providing the most successful voice to text messaging services which are used daily by millions of people. SpinVox services are available directly on www.spinvox.com and through leading carriers and service providers globally.
Through significant innovations in voice and network technologies, SpinVox has brought together the two most natural forms of communication - voice and text - to create the fastest-growing form of messaging: Voice-to-Content™.
Its award-winning service is not only upgrading voicemail - by converting voicemail to text for delivery as SMS or email messages – but is also empowering people to speak SMS messages or emails to anyone, from any phone. SpinVox also enables people to speak messages directly to their favorite web messaging services such as Facebook, Twitter and many other popular web networks.
As a carrier-class hosted service provider, any network, anywhere in the world can rapidly implement SpinVox and it is now live with Alltel, Cincinnati Bell, Sasktel, Rogers, Telus, Telstra, Vodacom South Africa, Vodafone Spain, Movistar Chile and Livejournal and has announced a deal with Skype.
At the heart of SpinVox is its ground-breaking Voice Message Conversion System™ (VMCS), which works by combining state-of-the-art speech technologies with a live-learning language process. VMCS now serves users across five continents in English, French, Spanish and German – with additional languages, Portuguese and Italian, under development.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Cow PR LLP in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Leisure & Hobbies, Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.