With unemployment figures reaching the 2 million mark and the UK economy now officially in recession, it might appear to be the worst possible time to search for a job. However, provided you focus your job search in the right areas, there are still vacancies to be found – even in these troubled times.
Healthy Industry Sectors for Job Searchers
Concentrating your job search in specific retail industries could be the best way to find employment. It was recently announced that Asda and Tesco are planning to open more stores and expand some existing ones, so keep a look out for vacancies with these companies on job boards.
Discount stores such as Primark, Lidl and Aldi are also reaping the benefits as shoppers tighten their belts and look to save money. Not all companies and shops are making losses or going into administration, so it is important to keep this in mind if you’re feeling depressed and uncertain about the current state of the job market.
Although you probably won't find many vacancies on job boards for the manufacturing and finance industries, for example, other industries are weathering the financial storm well and are not making as many, or even any, redundancies. In fact, public sector employment actually increased, showing a rise of 14,000 to 5.76 million from the period of June to September.
Other industries still likely to post vacancies on job boards include:
- Healthcare and pharmaceuticals – people still need to be treated in both NHS and private healthcare facilities.
- Human resources – still in high demand due to the need for companies to manage their personnel in compliance with UK employment law.
- Public relations – as spending on advertising falls, many companies will rely on public relations as a cheaper alternative.
- Teachers – there is always a strong demand for teachers throughout the UK.
- Oil industry – oil is always in demand, and experts in this field can earn high salaries.
Job Search Regions/Areas
In 2009, the South West is not expected to be hit as hard as other regions, and will probably stay below the national 6.1% level of unemployment. Northern Ireland is also expected to buck the general trend. It was estimated, from the period July–September 2008, that the unemployment rate in Northern Ireland was 4.1%, which was similar to the previous quarter and remains below the national average. Check job boards in different areas – widening your job search will increase your employment options.
Job Search Advice
The best advice for your job search is to remain positive. There are still half a million jobs to be filled, so jobseekers need to get themselves out there in front of recruiters. Another positive aspect to remember is that The Department for Work and Pensions has also said that four out of five people who claim Jobseekers Allowance are off it again within six months.
What job searchers need to remember is that no matter how difficult the times are for them right now, they must use the resources that are on offer and take pro-active steps to find a new job. Register with job boards like Tip Top Job, and contact Recruitment Agencies and companies directly.
Other Job Seeker's Advice...
- Use a CV writing company or visit career advice pages to make your CV attractive and professional. Tailor your CV to the job and the company to make sure it stands out from others.
- Think about other ways to get a job, like asking friends and family and using your network of contacts.
- If you are panicking about money, try something new. Maybe do a few "work-from-home" jobs to earn some extra cash – there are plenty of these around.
- Think about moving to areas where there are more jobs. Maybe even consider moving to another country if this is an option.
- Think about changing careers to get into one of the industries or companies that are currently booming - scan job boards for career ideas.
Tip Top Job is an international jobs board that covers every area of today's job market. With a focus on UK vacancies, Tip Top Job has helped thousands of people to find a position that suits their skills and career development.
Issued by: Tip Top Job
Contact Email: email@example.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of MediaCo (UK) Ltd in the following categories: Education & Human Resources, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.