One in Ten Downgrade to Third Party, Fire and Theft Cover
Motorists are cutting back on fully comprehensive insurance in a bid to drive down their outgoings, according to Swinton, the UK’s leading high street insurance retailer.
In the last twelve months, Swinton has noticed a 10% increase in the number of customers choosing Third Party, Fire & Theft cover over comprehensive car insurance at the time of renewal and is attributing the hike in trimmed-down policies to both the continuing credit crunch and the increase in the number of people buying second hand cars with a value of less than £5,000 – the maximum value insurers will generally cover under Third Party, Fire and Theft policies.
However, with comprehensive policies costing little more than Third Party, Fire and Theft cover, Swinton is warning motorists that downgrading their policy could be a false economy long-term.
Steve Chelton, insurer development manager at Swinton said: “There is a common misconception among motorists that choosing a policy which offers reduced cover will be significantly cheaper than a comprehensive policy. While reducing cover may offer a minimal saving short-term, it could cost drivers a lot more down the line if they are involved in an accident that is their fault.
“We would advise motorists to speak to their broker if they are considering downgrading their policy as it is vital they understand the changes to their cover when reducing their indemnity to Third Party, Fire and Theft.”
Swinton has provided the following guidelines on Third Party Fire and Theft policies:
Third Party Fire and Theft policies cover the following:
• Damage caused by you to other people’s vehicles or property or for injuries they sustain.
• Damage to your vehicle sustained by fire, theft or attempted theft.
Third Party, Fire and Theft policies do not:
• Cover your car or any personal injuries sustained in the event of an accident that was your fault.
• Cover your car in the event of a hit and run.
• Cover you to drive other cars (depending on policy).
• Cover acts of vandalism to your vehicle.
• Cover damage caused in a storm.
Swinton's public relations is managed by Manchester public relations agency SKV Communications.
For further information please contact, Anoushka Foster or Michael Travers on Tel: 0161 838 7770 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
• With 580 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK’s largest high street insurance retailer
• Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
• Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
• With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of SKV Communications Ltd in the following categories: Personal Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.