Research by analysts at broadband.co.uk have shown that a shocking 38.5% of the UK's broadband connections provide speeds of less than the 2Mbps target for minimum speeds set out in Lord Carters Interim Digital Britain report.
"These figures cast doubt on how achievable the 2Mbps target set by Lord Carter really is." Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during February 2009 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"The current thinking in Whitehall seems to be that the majority of those who cannot receive speeds over 2Mbps presently will have the shortfall made up by the use of mobile broadband. However mobile broadband has drawbacks when compared to fixed line connections in terms of responsiveness and stability. The use of mobile broadband risks papering over the cracks when the country should really be investing in a universal fibre optic rollout." adds Dawson.
At the individual provider level Virgin retained their lead as the UK's fastest broadband provider for the sixth month in a row.
The average broadband speed UK wide has risen to a record 3.8Mbps.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers and graphs showing the split of maximum speeds by percentage of connections please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.