HomePhoneChoices.co.uk comments on BT’s and TalkTalk’s increases in monthly line rental charges
* BT and TalkTalk increase the cost of line rental to £11.25 per month(1) from 1 April 2009
* Paperless billing and direct debit payment mechanics more important than ever before
* Customers should consider their switching options
* HomePhoneChoices.co.uk gives its line rental top tips and recommended best buys
Despite their customers being harder up than ever, BT has increased its monthly line rental charge by almost £1 from £10.27 to £11.25 and TalkTalk has added 75p per month to bring its charge from £10.50 to £11.25.
Michael Phillips, product director, HomePhoneChoices.co.uk said:
“This price increase is very disappointing; bills should be getting cheaper given the current state of their customers’ finances in the midst of the credit crunch.”
“BT sets the agenda in the home phone market, so I won’t be surprised if we see smaller providers follow suit and hike up their own line rental charges.”
BT charges an additional £1.50 per month for customers that don’t pay by direct debit which TalkTalk doesn’t offer as an option. In addition, both providers charge an extra £1.25 per month if customers don’t take their paperless billing option.
Phillips continued: “We would definitely recommend that customers pay by direct debit and opt for paperless billing”. If you can’t pay by direct debit then the Post Office accepts payment by cheque, cash or over the phone with no additional charge and no minimum contract period.”
“BT still has the lion’s share of the line rental market but there are alternatives that offer valuable savings. Customers need to compare call plans and home phone options through a reputable comparison site like HomePhoneChoices.co.uk.”
Three top tips to get the best phone deal:
1. Pay by direct debit – Nearly all providers discourage payment by any means other than direct debit and impose punitive charges of anything up to £5 per month for dealing with cheques. The Post Office accepts payment by various means with no additional charges
2. Go for paperless billing – Some providers offer useful savings if you receive your statements online, not by post. You’ll also do your bit for the environment
3. Consider bundling – If you have broadband and/or you subscribe to a digital TV service then you could make considerable savings through bundling these with your home phone.
For comprehensive and impartial advice on Evening, Weekend and Anytime call plans and bundles from a broad range of phone providers, simply visit HomePhoneChoices.co.uk.
Notes to editors:
1. Prices effective from 1 April 2009.
BT – line rental £11.25 per month includes £1.50 direct debit discount and £1.25 paperless billing discount. Further details at http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynam...
TalkTalk – line rental £11.25 per month includes £1.25 paperless billing discount; payment by direct debit only. Further details at
For further information please contact:
Michael Phillips (HomePhoneChoices.co.uk): 020 7700 3245
Karen Wagg/Emily Church (Polhill Communications): 020 7655 0540
HomePhoneChoices.co.uk was launched in 2005 and is the UK’s leading home phone comparison service.
We offer comprehensive and impartial advice on home phone and bundled packages (home phone with broadband and digital TV).
The HomePhoneChoices.co.uk calculator compares thousands of different combinations of packages and provides results in a clear, intuitive table where users can rank and compare services according to their individual needs.
At HomePhoneChoices.co.uk we help our users make the right choice of provider and get the most from their home phone service.
HomePhoneChoices.co.uk – working hard to save you money
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Decision Technologies in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Media & Marketing, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.