MergePoint Unity Offers Power and Convenience of Physical Connection, High Definition Video and Serial IQ Module Support
HUNTSVILLE, Ala., April 14, 2009 -- Avocent Corporation (NASDAQ: AVCT), a global leader in IT operations management, today announced the release of MergePoint Unity®, a robust next-generation switching appliance that supports both KVM over IP and serial console management technology. The versatile new platform helps IT administrators manage remote equipment racks in data centres and offices through a single appliance and interface. Through streamlined management of the multitude of devices in data centre racks, including servers, storage, networking and serial appliances, IT administrators can expect to see significant cost savings while dramatically reducing – or eliminating – the need for in-person management needs. MergePoint Unity is standards-based for maximum interoperability, and allows administrators to begin seeing immediate progress toward ROI following deployment.
“The MergePoint Unity solution from Avocent represents a solid step forward in remote data centre management,” commented Dennis Drogseth, vice president, Enterprise Management Associates. “As a tool to complement in-band tools, this switch gives IT administrators considerable flexibility and power to manage nearly every piece of IT equipment found in their data centres and remote branch locations.”
MergePoint Unity switches are optimised for data centres or for branch data centres with a mix of KVM and serial targets. This combination offers customers the ability to manage more without requiring a need to purchase multiple pieces of hardware. The device pairs complete platform flexibility with serial connectivity through a KVM appliance to extend the features offered by the current generation of Avocent DSR switches. The new MergePoint Unity solution, in conjunction with DSView 3 management software, offers enterprise-class and branch data centres the industry’s most complete out-of-band management solution for remote device and equipment control.
Key new benefits of the MergePoint Unity solution include:
• Serial IQ module support – Allows for bi-directional communication, giving IT administrators cut-and-paste functionality and the ability to run a Telnet or SSH session to serial devices including equipment from leading vendors such as Cisco, Juniper, Brocade, and others that have serial configuration ports.
• Virtual Media support – Allows a user to mount/map a USB media or mass storage devices directly to a remote computer through a physical USB connection to the MergePoint Unity switch.
• CAC/Smart Card reader support – The only remote KVM appliance in the industry to support customers with requirements for smart card readers. Using the USB/virtual media capabilities a remote admin can quickly and securely authenticate remote servers.
• Dual Power and ethernet options – The MergePoint Unity switches include dual ethernet on all models and single or dual power supply options for critical configurations that require redundant connections to ensure high availability.
• Enhanced video experience – Support for 1280x1024 video resolutions through the entire system gives IT administrators better target computer and remote-client viewer capabilities.
• ACI port allows for single console view of tiered targets from local console – Single console view of all tiered targets from the local console.
• Common look and feel maintained for local port and Web interface – When launched from the MergePoint Unity appliance, the local port maintains the same look and feel as the web interface. As a result, IT administrators have the same capabilities at the local port that they are accustomed to, from the on-board web interface.
“Today’s economic forces are putting pressure on IT department budgets, and IT managers need the technology solutions they deploy to meet current needs, evolve with them as they change, and continue to add value over time,” commented Ben Grimes, Senior Vice President of Corporate Strategy and Chief Technology Officer with Avocent. “Our new MergePoint Unity switch design, features and cost advantages help IT managers maximise their monitoring and management of data centre and branch facilities by combining KVM, USB and serial capabilities into one solution to manage the variety of equipment in the racks. MergePoint Unity meets the technical needs of forward-looking IT department administrators, while addressing the relevant budget-related priorities of the enterprise CTO, today.”
The MergePoint Unity solution is currently available. For more information, visit www.avocent.com.
About Avocent Corporation
Avocent delivers IT operations management solutions that reduce operating costs, simplify management and increase the availability of critical IT environments 24/7 via integrated, centralised software. Additional information is available at www.avocent.com.
Forward Looking Statement
This press release contains statements that are forward-looking statements as defined within the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the statements made, including the risks associated with general economic conditions, risks attributable to future product demand, sales, and expenses, risks associated with acquisitions and acquisition integration, risks associated with product design efforts and the introduction of new products and technologies, and risks associated with obtaining and protecting intellectual property rights. Other factors that could cause operating and financial results to differ are described in our annual report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on February 27, 2009. Other risks may be detailed from time to time in reports to be filed with the SEC. Avocent does not undertake any obligation to publicly update its forward-looking statements based on events or circumstances after the date hereof.
Tel: +1 256-261-6430
Tel: +44 (0) 1243 531123
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Napier in the following categories: Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.