Research by analysts at broadband.co.uk have shown that the average broadband speed has now broken through the 4Mbps barrier to reach 4.137Mbps.
"Looking back to a year ago when the average speed was only 3.2Mbps we can see how far things have improved" Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during April 2009 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"However we hear more and more complaints from consumers regarding their broadband speeds. Far more rich media is being consumed in comparison to a year ago, BBC iPlayer being a prime example, and it seems that as fast as ISP's add capacity they still don't manage to keep up with their customers expectations. So although we should congratulate the industry for continuing to move forward we must not allow them to rest on their laurels." adds Dawson.
At the individual provider level Virgin retained their lead as the UK's fastest broadband provider for the seventh month in a row though O2 are snapping at their heels.
We have added a new metric to our monthly results. We now provide data that shows how much of a connections theoretical speed is actually provided on average by individual suppliers. This month Virgin Media fibre optic wins out providing 125% of the speed that would be available to a standard ADSL user in their areas. Bottom of the pile are Tiscali and Eclipse with only 49% of the maximum speed available supplied on average. See the full results on our site.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.