Research by analysts at broadband.co.uk have shown that average broadband speeds in the UK have continued their recent improvement during May reaching 4.25Mbps.
"These show that the breaking of the 4Mbps barrier the previous month was no freak result." Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during May 2009 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"What stands out though is that despite this increase our tests show that the average line still only receives 80% of the maximum speed achievable meaning that for many customers significant gains could be realised just by their broadband provider supplying what's already possible." adds Dawson.
Amongst the worst providers is AOL who on average only provide a download speed 54% of the maximum speed on average.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.