Author available for interviews/articles/columns
BEYOND THE BOYS CLUB
- strategies for achieving career success as a woman working in a male dominated field
One of the things about equality is not that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way you treat a man."
June 2009/London - The most successful women working in male-dominated fields know that you can't win the game if you're not willing to play the game. These same women understand that the best way to change the game - and make it work for them - is as a key player - not as an outsider. Suzanne Doyle-Morris, PhD, founder of Doyle Morris Coaching & Development, herself an exceptional high-achieving woman, a leading global expert on gender equality, diversity in the workplace and career progression for executive women is author of Beyond The Boys Club - strategies for achieving career success as a woman working in a male dominated field (Wit & Wisdom Press, £13.99, October 2009).
"Career progression especially in male dominated fields is a blend of aptitude and attitude, manoeuvrability, understanding office politics, coupled with self awareness and confidence," comments Suzanne. "As a professional coach developing high-potential female talent, I have yet to meet an ambitious woman who wasn't already delivery high quality work. What women tend to lack is the knowledge of how to raise their profile well, when most of their colleagues are men, and how to unlock the level of confidence required to take the next step up the career ladder to the boardroom/senior roles. It's the way we draw attention to what we do and achieve that sets us apart from others. It's not our gender."
Beyond The Boys Club - strategies for achieving career success as a woman working in a male dominated field features interviews with over 21 women at the top of their professions including and imports cutting-edge research from the authors' PhD research at the University of Cambridge
Prof. Athene Donald – Deputy Head of Physics Dept, University of Cambridge and winner of 2009 L’Oreal-Unesco Women in Science Award
Joanna Hewitt – Director, Barclays Private Bank
Rebecca George, Partner Corporate Finance, Deloitte
"Women who get ahead are those who make key decision makers aware of their wins," comments Suzanne. "When you work with men you have to learn how to play the game and get comfortable raising your profile the way they do. We need to learn how to play with the boys in order to move beyond the boys club. We should take the best of what they can teach us whilst maintaining a sense of our own integrity, individuality and independence."
TRAITS OF HIGH-ACHIEVING WOMEN WORKING IN MALE-DOMINATED FIELDS
• They have a clear sense of self-worth and self-acceptance
• Able to overcome feelings of self doubt and indecision
• Are willing to take risks to avoid standing still or feeling stale in their work
• They make the right contacts inside and outside of an organisation
• They love what they do - passion is evident
• They constantly review what works, and what doesn't and are always looking to raise their game
• They value relationships, networking and connectivity with like-minded people
• They take control of all aspects of their personal PR – from public speaking to engaging with the media and more
• They select the right career advocates, e.g coaches, mentors and even 'anti mentors'
• They learn to play the self promotion game, just like their male colleagues
• They review career goals regularly to ‘survive and drive’ their careers
• They continually hone their skills and self invest
• They learn to handle office politics knowing it’s a skill any ambitious professional must master
Beyond The Boys Club has 14 chapters and helpful Resources section and includes: To Win The Game, You Have to Play The Game, Making it in a Man's World, Profile-Raising, Connecting to the Right People, Taking Risks, If You Have Something to Say, Image, Establishing Your Presence, Contact and Bonding, Exploring External Networks, Mentoring and Coaching. Beyond The Boys Club is a career development bible for women working in male dominated fields. It is a must-read for any professional woman and for the men who want to help develop female leaders for real organisational and bottom line benefits.
All publicity enquiries re
Beyond The Boys Club to
Sue Blake Media on 0208 979 5220, firstname.lastname@example.org
ISBN 0956268803, price £13.99 Wit & Wisdom Press
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Sue Blake Media in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Women's Interest & Beauty, Environment & Nature, Sport, Consumer Technology, Motoring, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Travel, Education & Human Resources, Medical & Pharmaceutical, Media & Marketing, Farming & Animals, Retail & Fashion, Public Sector, Third Sector & Legal, Manufacturing, Engineering & Energy, Computing & Telecoms, Transport & Logistics, Construction & Property, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.