Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.

Successful UK network to launch in Sheffield following £260,000 investment deal.

In a survey of over 650 Sheffield-based professionals aged 25 - 45, conducted by CitySocialising, results showed that over 84% of those who had moved to Sheffield within the last 2 years, arriving with no social network in place, found integrating into city life a "slow" and "difficult" process. Meeting new people in Sheffield, they commented, was “not as easy as they thought it would be.” Over 90% welcomed a network in Sheffield to help connect them with new local friends to explore the city's "fantastic" social and cultural scene with.

Plus, 56% of the local professionals in this age group that had lived in the area for more than two years, stated that they would be keen to find new friends in Sheffield, to go out with outside their usual social and work circles. The main reasons given were because their friends were moving out of the city, were settling down and having children or simply because they had too little time to organise their social lives and that there was no easy way to meet new people from their local area within the city.

Throughout March and April 2009, CitySocialising, the UK's leading online and offline social network for outgoing professionals, embarked on the research-finding mission in Sheffield to find out about the views and experiences of young professionals in the city ahead of its plans to launch a network in the city in July 2009, following a quarter of a million pound investment deal.

CitySocialising’s growth plans amidst the tough economic climate signal a step away from virtual networking, where users can accumulate thousands of online “friends”, towards making genuine, real world connections and harnessing the power of the internet to reinvigorate local communities and networks.

The views of those polled in Sheffield reflected the opinions of CitySocialising's 50,000+ members based across 12 UK cities ( with Sheffield being one of seven new cities being launched in June and July 2009) Sanchita Saha, CEO of CitySocialising commented:

“Sheffield is such a vibrant city with lots going on and the people we've met here are incredibly friendly and welcoming and socialising in Sheffield,is a lot of fun. But, as with all cities, the fast pace and transient nature means it can still be difficult to integrate and meet people from your local community. We provide people who are new to Sheffield,a fun and easy way to socialise with other people that have the same interests as them.”

“Plus, the older and busier you get the more difficult it becomes to meet new friends outside your usual network. The results of our research has given us confidence that the network will do a lot of good in the city. Our fast growing member-base across the UK and the recent investment are a great indicator that the CitySocialising network is one that is providing a valuable service and a refreshing, real world alternative to online social networking and meeting friends in the virtual world.

Throughout the whole of June and July 2009, they will be hosting a series of 14 launch events across the UK for both new and existing cities. The Sheffield date has been confirmed for Thursday 16th July at the Riverside Bar. Visit for a free invite to the launch event.

- end -

For more information, please contact:

Christian Kudzi, Tel: +44 (0) 20 7940 9912 / Mob: +44 (0) 7803 053313

Press Enquiries Email:

Editors notes:

About CitySocialising:

Launched in January 2007 with funding and support from the Prince’s Trust, CitySocialising is now available in 19 UK cities including London, Manchester,Leeds, Glasgow,and Bristol.
The company recently raised £260k of investment from a syndicate of investors and management lead by the London Business Angels Network to fund further growth into new cities, complete the development of the new web platform and initiate marketing.

The second version of the site will include live city event listings, bespoke event creation tools, much improved social networking functionality and a site redesign and alongside Sheffield, will also launch in further new cities, includingNewcastle, Cardiff,Liverpool, Basingstoke, Oxford and Reading

Research Results: 656 people aged 25 - 45 questioned.

24% of those questioned (157) were newcomers to the city (had been in Sheffield for less than 2 years)
76% of those questioned (446) had been based in Sheffield for 2+ years or were Sheffield locals.
Of the 157 newcomers, 84% (131) stated they found it "slow" and "difficult" to meet new friends to socialise with and integrate into city life.

Of the 157 newcomers, 91% (143) welcomed a CitySocialising Sheffield network to make meeting new people easier. Remaining 9% (14) "weren't bothered".

Of the 446 others, 56% (250) stated they would be keen to meet new people outside their usual social and work circles.

Of the 446 others, 85% (379) welcomed a CitySocialising network for the city. Remaining 15% (67) "weren't bothered".

In total, out of all 656 people aged 25 - 40 who were questioned, 80% (522) welcomed the launch of CitySocialising Sheffield. Remaining 20% (134) "weren't bothered".

For more information, please visit:


This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Citysocializer in the following categories: Entertainment & Arts, Leisure & Hobbies, Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit