Research by analysts at broadband.co.uk into UK broadband speeds show Virgin Media topping the league tables with an impressive average speed of 6.135Mbps, almost 50% faster than the industry average of 4.34Mbps.
"Virgin Media's fibre optic products are without doubt leading the way for current high speed broadband provision" Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during June 2009 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"Providers such as O2 and Be are also providing top level speeds for those customers lucky enough to be in areas where their services are rolled out, these users receive a premier league supply in broadband terms. However those people living outside of these areas are not so lucky and we still see the majority of suppliers providing way below 'average' speeds. There is still an urgent case for this digital divide to be bridged." adds Dawson.
Looking at data that shows how much of a connections theoretical speed is actually provided on average by individual suppliers. This month Be Broadband wins out providing 123% of the speed that would be available to a standard ADSL user in their area. Bottom of the pile are Eclipse with only 43% of the maximum speed available supplied on average. See the full results on our site.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.