Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.

It’s All Greek to British Holidaymakers
In a survey conducted by leading online travel agent On the Beach, a staggering 72% of holidaymakers admitted that other than saying “hello” and “thank you”, they could not communicate with the locals in their language.
With the holiday season in full swing, and as millions of Brits head to sunnier climes, On the Beach asked 1,000 holidaymakers how they adapt to local culture whilst abroad.
The survey revealed that only a meagre 9% of holidaymakers can converse fully with the locals with 18% saying they could ‘get by’ in a foreign language.
However, it would appear that British holidaymakers are a tad embarrassed by their lack of foreign language skills with 97% admitting they should be making more of an effort. The remaining 3% stated that as they only travel once a year, they don’t feel they need to bother making the effort to learn.
However, what the majority of holidaymakers lack in foreign language skills, they make up for in their enthusiasm to immerse themselves in foreign cultures.
It would appear that the once famous ‘Brit abroad’ tag seems to be diminishing.
Typical British boozers abroad are no longer favourite watering holes amongst holidaymakers, with 87% opting for nights out in traditional local bars instead. Only the remaining 13% admit to partying only in traditional British pubs abroad.
The survey also revealed that the British palate has become more sophisticated over the years with more and more people willing to try new and exotic menus. Of those surveyed, 47% said they favoured local traditional restaurants with only 6% saying they stick to British fare.
Gone are the days when Brits only mix with other Brits whilst on holiday; 91% of those surveyed stated they enjoy mixing with the locals.
Further evidence that the British holidaymaker is keener than ever to experience other cultures can be seen when asked about their choice of hotel. Only 19% said they booked recognised international hotels this summer, with 81% opting for local family run establishments.
Simon Cooper, Chief Executive Officer at On the Beach said, “The survey shows that we behind many of our our European neighbours comes to learning new languages. Not only can it be very useful, the locals really do appreciate it when foreigners make the effort. However, it is good to see that British holidaymakers are becoming more open to different cultures. Many of the most popular holiday destinations including Spain and Turkey have a wonderful rich history and taking time to explore other cultures can only add to the overall holiday experience.”

-ends-


For further information please email Jamie Wortley at jamie.wortley@otbeach.com or call Jamie on 07877 589 910/ 0208 352 0086


About On the Beach
Founded in 1995, On the Beach is one of the UK’s leading online travel agencies carrying over 500,000 passengers every year (ABTA K0813). On the Beach provides value for money flights and hotels in the world’s most popular beach holiday destinations. On the Beach provides consumers with a huge selection of travel products, from 50 million available seats, more than 30,000 hotels around the world, insurance and in-resort transfer partners. Customers can book online or call the UK call centre on 0870 606 07 08.

As the expert provider of DIY beach holidays to the UK market, On the Beach is so confident of its industry leading position, it offers a market leading price match guarantee for its customers. On the Beach will refund the difference if a lower price is found for the same product on any UK website*.

*Offer applies to exact product match

This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of JPW Communications in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.