The schools have broken up, and millions of us will be packing our bags and heading off on family holidays. A recent survey* has shown that the number one thing British kids love to do on holiday is spend time playing in the pool or on water slides.
As a result, family experts First Choice are launching a brand new Splash programme featuring the very best holidays, perfect for those who love swimming. It features 13 fantastic properties situated in, or next to amazing water parks. A new advert to support the new brochure also airs today. The programme is brought to you by First Choice’s Cool Pool Tester Tommy Lynch, who was given the enviable task of trotting the globe trying out water rides and selecting the very best for inclusion in the portfolio.
As a result of his findings Tommy has rated each water park with his own Splashometer – giving marks out of ten for speed and thrill factor. The score out of 10 is a combination of how many body slides, speed slides, multi-lane slides, tube slides, feature slides, lazy rivers, wave pools and kids slides each hotel has.
We have created a logo for each type of slide and this sits on each hotel page. Tommy has put together his top tips for kids and ‘big kids’ alike, for making the most out of water rides this summer:
1) Know your slides. There are Boomerangoes, Masterblasters, Sidewinders, the Kamikaze…..There are so many different slides, all with something in common - they are great fun. The higher the faster, is the general rule. ‘Speed slides’ are the straight water slides – simple, but fast and furious that will fire your down to the ground at the speed of light.
2) Some rides that look gentle, can sometimes be the most exhilarating. My favourite is ‘the Bowl’ looks innocent enough, but it really feels like you are being washed down a plug hole! Not for the faint hearted.
3) Gentlemen, don your Speedos! Lightweight swim shorts will always make you go faster than long baggy swim shorts which will drag you back.
4) Ladies, chose your bikini wisely if you want to spare your blushes. I’ve seen many a red face and floating bikini top at the bottom of water rides. Bikinis tied held together by bows are simply just not going to survive the ride.
5) Sun cream is of course an absolute must in waterparks in the summer. But apply extra on the backs of your legs and back for extra speed.
6) For maximum speed lie back with your head slightly raised and arms folded across your chest – you will be more streamlined like a torpedo.
7) On fast slides, extend your legs but cross them at your knees. You’ll go faster and it will also prevent the common condition known as ‘the wedgie’!
8) If all this speed gets too much and you want to relax and top up your tan, the lazy river is the perfect way to pass the day. Lie on your inflatable and watch the world go by as you enjoy these go-slow rivers
9) Little ones don’t need to be left out. Tots love the water and most water parks have lazy rivers, tots slides, tipping water buckets and splashy-splashy playgrounds.
10) Finally, be safe: Always read the rules and directions. Listen to the water park supervisors, always check the person before you has cleared the splash pool before you set off, and always apply very high factor sun cream regularly.
Prices for Splash holidays start from £325 per adult and £169 per child staying at the Grand Ucel in Ovacik, Turkey on a bed and breakfast basis for seven nights departing on Monday 10th May 2010 departing from Gatwick.
For further information or a brochure please visit http://www.firstchoice.co.uk, call 0871 200 4455 or visit your First Choice travel shop.
- Ends -
*Survey undertaken by First Choice of 1000 holidaymakers in December 2008, showed that 92% of kids swimming or spending every day around the pool.
Tommy Lynch is available for interview. Images available.
For further press information please contact:
Grace Jones, tel: 01582 648725 or email@example.com
Notes to editor:
Some of the slides you can expect to find at a First Choice Splash resort include:
The Kamikaze - Hold onto your trunks, this one is going straight down! Vertical plunges at break neck speeds – not for the faint hearted. Look out for the camel back too – just as fast, but this one’s got the hump!
The Black Hole - Grab your partner and an inflatable and enter the black hole. Travelling with your friend on an inflatable in pitch black darkness, you won’t know the next direction this one is going to take you in!
You’ll find the Black Hole at Aqualand Village in Corfu and Aqua Fantasy in Turkey.
The Sidewinder - Wash up and down the sides of the Sidewinder. A giant U shaped slide with a near vertical drop, you’ll drop down and slide back up again, and down again and up again (and down again and up again) until you eventually stop in the middle!
The Master Blaster - Think of this one as a roller coaster on water! The only waterslide where you’re propelled up as well as down!
The Wave Pool - Grab an inflatable and ride the waves!
The Lazy River - Sit back, relax and let the current wash you around the course of the lazy river!
The Bowl - Like a giant plug hole, you’ll enter the bowl, wash around the edges until you eventually plop into the middle! Ever wondered what it’s like to be flushed down the toilet? This is the closest thing!
The Boat Ride - A ride that you can go on with the whole family! 4 of you in a circular inflatable at once washing up and down the sides of the slides!
The Multi-lane Racer - Race against at least 3 others as you take to the mats – the first one down’s the winner!
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of TUI UK in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.