Key to a happy holiday is keeping the kids entertained, so we wanted to find out first hand what made them tick
KIDS REVEAL THEIR ‘PERFECT GARDEN’ IN TIME FOR SUMMER HOLIDAYS
• Top tips for keeping kids entertained
• ‘Holidaying at home’ turns back gardens into pleasure parks!
Leading garden centre Notcutts has been taking the advice of children this summer, asking their advice about what makes their ‘perfect garden’. The findings will be of interest to any parent wanting to keep their little ones amused over the long summer holidays, and the great news is that it can all be done on a budget!
Notcutts conducted a research panel comprising of very opinionated 6-7 year old school children from East Anglia who were happy to give the Outdoor Living team a run for their money!
The panel was asked to design their Perfect Garden and were unequivocal about the Top Three things on their wishlist:
1. Water – as small as a paddling pool, as big as a swimming pool
2. Space for playing – a treehouse or football / tennis area
3. Flowers, fruit and vegetables – and they’re happy to help look after them!
• Bad weather isn’t a deterrent: kids love playing in the rain, with 80% of them finding it as much fun as the sun: just provide wellies, buckets and waterproof games!
• ‘A bit of garden to call my own’ was the most plaintive request, with 90% of the panel wanting even the smallest area earmarked for their own gardening project
• Treehouses or dens also proved popular, with 60% of kids wanting somewhere specific to play in.
• Weeding is fun and tops the list of gardening activity, above planting and watering! Just give them some pointers and watch them go!
• Be a sport! Girls and boys were equally keen to play ‘football or tennis’ in the garden, with 85% wanting specific equipment and/or a designated play area
Notcutts were also amazed by the sheer variety of fruit and vegetables being grown by the panel’s families, reflecting the huge surge the retailer has seen in ‘Grow Your Own’ this year. Potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes, raspberries, onions, marrows, strawberries, beans, apples and pears were all cited as examples of garden-to-plate activity at home. One panellist was so enthused on the subject that his Perfect Garden would include a swimming pool, 2 poly-tunnels and his own garden centre!
Minnie Moll, Notcutts’ marketing director says of the research: “Holidaying at home has hit a peak this year and our Kids Garden range is flying out of the doors. Key to a happy holiday is keeping the kids entertained, so we wanted to find out first hand what made them tick. It’s also great to see such enthusiasm about gardening in general amongst this age group – we can already identify budding gardeners and a whole new green-fingered generation!”
The Kids Panel was also asked to vote on their favourite items from the Notcutts Kids Garden range. Top of the pops was their own chair (Animal Chair in a Bag, £9.99), followed by their own animal shaped watering can (poodle, duck or dolphin at £4.99) and their own set of mini gardening tools (Hand Tool Set £4.99). And with their favourite flower being the sunflower (price), entertaining the kids this summer doesn’t have to break the bank.
Some more surprising things the research threw up included the following:
• One research panellist allegedly has a baby elephant in his back garden
• Another’s favourite rain-based activity is running around in her pants
• Amongst the favourite and perhaps less practical garden designs, one included a maze in the shape of a crab with “a statue of myself in the middle”; “infinity plus a thousand sunflowers” and “a fountain with chocolate coming out of it”.
• Other Outdoor Living themes available at Notcutts this summer include
Wildlife, Contemporary, Entertaining, Tropical and Market Gardens, guaranteed to turn summer into your very own Holiday at Home.
For further information on the Outdoor Living ranges or details of your nearest Notcutts Garden Centre please visit www.notcutts.co.uk
For further information on the research, including a report and images, please contact Liz Vater at email@example.com or 07779 228969
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Gabriel Communications (London) in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Entertainment & Arts, Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, Environment & Nature, Travel, Education & Human Resources, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.