A business plan can help you grow your business in the way that you want
More and more Mums are starting a business, but few have a business background. In time for Business Mum Week 2009 (3-10th October), family-friendly-working expert and author of The Mumpreneur Guide, Antonia Chitty, shares her three essentials for business planning.
1. Where do you want to be in five years time? Don’t start planning until you have a firm vision for the future for you, your family and your business. Once this vision is in place you can plan the steps to make it a reality.
2. What makes your business offering different? It is hard to turn your business into a success if you don’t have a firm grip on what makes your enterprise special. If you know what is unique about your business it is easier to develop a niche and find customers who need exactly what you, and only you, are offering.
3. Plan, then act. A mumpreneur has to be an expert in juggling. If you’re not clear where you are heading it can be hard to use the time that you do have effectively. Take time to make a detailed plan for your business, then break this down into small steps. Then make the most of every moment you have available to work on the next small step in your plan.
“A business plan can help you grow your business in the way that you want. Without a plan it is hard to know if each activity you do is moving you towards, or further away from, your goals,” says Antonia. “Even if you do not write a formal plan for financing, make a plan for your own use. This can help you expose weaknesses in your business idea and ensure your actions help you meet your goals.” In The Mumpreneur Guide Antonia covers 12 simple steps to writing a business plan that will move your enterprise forward in the right direction.
You can meet Antonia at the following Business Mum Week Events:
October 6th Brighton - Sussex Innovation Centre - Meet the Author, Book Signing, Drinks and Q & A with Mums in Biz
October 7th London - Ping Pong Dim Sum (Private Room) 3 Appold Street London EC2A 2AF – Mumpreneurs’ Networking Event with Antonia Chitty of The Mumpreneur Guide and Alison Rothwell of SEO Training Club, organised by MiMiMyne.
If you would like a copy of The Mumpreneur Guide to review, or wish to to interview Antonia, please get in touch. Photos, case studies and an article on 12 simple steps to writing a business plan are also available:
Lindsey Collumbell, Bojangle Communications on T: 01372 274975 / M: 0771 7744719 / E: email@example.com
Antonia Chitty, author of The Mumpreneur Guide on T: 01424 810 272 M: 07900 580 668 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
1. There are an estimated 167,353 self-employed mums working from home in the UK who contribute in the region of £4.4million to the economy. Business Mum Week (www.businessmumweek.co.uk) runs from the 3rd to the 10th of October 2009 and is backed by Mumsclub.co.uk.
2. Antonia Chitty has run her own PR business since the birth of her daughter in 2002. She took advantage of being on maternity leave with her son in 2006 to write her first book, and combined writing and PR until taking a break to have her third child earlier this year. She lives on the Sussex coast.
3. Antonia is the author of The Mumpreneur Guide which was released on 1st September 2009 and is available from www.themumpreneurguide.co.uk, Amazon and all good bookshops.
4. Antonia has written a number of books (Family Friendly Working, What to do when your child hates school, Special Educational Needs: A Parent’s Guide, Insomnia: The Essential Guide, Commercial Writing: How to Earn a Living as a Business Writer and A Guide to Promoting Your Business). She also runs a successful blog, www.familyfriendlyworking.co.uk
Testimonials for The Mumpreneur Guide from successful business women:
1. “I refused to compromise between career and family – both are so important to me and I was determined neither should suffer just because I wanted ‘to have it all’. This guide is a great starting place for new mums who would like to try juggling. It is definitely not the easy option but if it works for you then the results are well worth the effort.”
Laura Tenison MBE, Founder & MD of JoJo Maman Bébé and mum to Toby & Ben.
2. The "must-have" read for anyone considering setting up a business whilst combining the responsibility of raising a family. Don't do anything until you have read this book..it could change your life.." Emma Wimhurst, Business Mentor and author of BOOM! 7 Disciplines to CONTROL, GROW and add IMPACT to your business.
3. "The Mumpreneur Guide will enable the reader to quickly establish a simple starting point for their business idea! Establishing the number of hours they can dedicate to the business is key! The Guide is quick and easy to read."
Nicky Chisholm of Mums in Biz
4. "A great resource for any mum looking for flexible working inspiration and ideas. The Mumpreneur guide is well researched, using fascinating real life case studies to support the sound business information and advice, there are a lot of inspiring mums out there and it's great to see their efforts recognised. A must-have for the bookshelf of any aspiring Mumpreneur!"
Jane Hopkins of MumsClub - The Business Club for Entrepreneurial Mums
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Bojangle Communications in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.