Leading Anti-malware Developer Offers Advice to Children and Their Parents to Ensure Optimum Online Safety
Reading, UK – February 9, 2010 – Sunbelt Software, a provider of Windows security software, announces its support of today’s Safer Internet Day by offering a simple and practical five-point checklist to children and their parents. Safer Internet Day is an awareness-raising initiative co-funded by the European Commission, running in more than 60 countries across the world and this year focusing on the theme "Think B4 U post!".
New technologies have turned all of us, and mostly young people, into publishers of information, pictures, and videos. While bringing about new opportunities for personal expression and creativity, the same technologies can also conger up embarrassing or even traumatic situations. For example, photos, once posted online, remain online and can be seen by anybody, even years after they have been posted. Therefore, children and teenagers need guidance to manage their online identity in a responsible way, to be in control of their own online identity.
“We are proud to be supporting Safer Internet Day. Whilst it is generally assumed that the latest generation will be the most technologically savvy, we see that children are taking increasingly liberties with their online identity and opening themselves up to a wealth of very real dangers,” explained Sunbelt Software CEO Alex Eckelberry. “By following this simple five point checklist they can enjoy the many social and academic benefits of the Internet safely.”
Sunbelt Software issues the following five-point checklist to both children and parents to enable a safer online experience:
1. Do not to open any emails that come from senders you don’t know. Many of those emails have luring titles like “You have won a lottery” or “Happy birthday, I have a present for you” and so on. Never open any attachments coming with such emails, as it is likely that in such cases you will install a virus or a worm in your PC.
2. Try to avoid suspicious websites, and if you accidentally enter one that seems strange, leave it immediately.
3. If pop-up windows alert you or ask you to agree to anything, immediately close them and never click on any button inside them.
4. Install antivirus software such as Sunbelt Software’s award winning VIPRE on your PC. This will protect your computer against viruses and other malware threats. Antivirus software needs to be regularly updated, and can provide added security such as content or website filtering.
5. Install a firewall, which will keep watch on all files that go in and out of your computer.
Sunbelt Software’s flagship solution − VIPRE − combines antivirus, antispyware, anti-rootkit and other technologies into a seamless, tightly-integrated product. Developed exclusively by Sunbelt Software, VIPRE is designed to deal with malware in the most comprehensive, highly efficient manner without building on older generation antivirus engines. With low resource enterprise antivirus and endpoint protection, VIPRE provides a perfect remedy to other bloated endpoint security solutions on the market today.
Insafe is the European Safer Internet awareness-raising network co-funded by the European Commission. It comprises national contact centres across the European Union and in Iceland and Norway, with partner organisations in Argentina, Australia and the USA. Insafe aims at empowering users to benefit from the positive aspects of internet whilst avoiding the potential risks. Further information is available at www.saferinternet.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sunbelt Software
Headquartered in Tampa Bay (Clearwater), Fla., Sunbelt Software was founded in 1994 and is a leading provider of Windows security software including enterprise antivirus, antispyware, email security, and malware analysis tools. Leading products include the VIPRE® and CounterSpy® product lines, Sunbelt Exchange Archiver™, CWSandbox™, and ThreatTrack™.
For more information about Sunbelt Software, please visit the company’s website at: http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com. To learn more about current activities, products, and ideas at Sunbelt Software, please visit Sunbelt’s corporate blog at http://www.sunbeltblog.com.
To view this release online, go to:
Davies Murphy Group
+44 1256 807360
# # # #
Copyright © 2010 Sunbelt Software. All rights reserved. All trademarks used are owned by their respective companies.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Sunbelt Software in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.