Research by analysts at broadband.co.uk have shown that the average broadband speed has now broken through the 5Mbps barrier to reach 5.106Mbps.
"Looking back to a year ago when the average speed was only 4.2Mbps we can see how far things have improved" Says Edd Dawson, Editor at broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during July 2010 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"These figures mirror almost exactly the recently published Ofcom figures and we are pleased to be able to confirm the accuracy of their study." adds Dawson.
At the individual provider level Virgin retain and extend their lead as the UK's fastest broadband provider (a position they've held for an incredible 23 months) clocking in at almost double the UK average at 10.041 Mbps simultaneously becoming the first provider ever to break the 10 Mbps average speed barrier.
However, even though this months results bring some significant milestones for UK broadband speeds, it does still confirm that compared to speeds in many other developed countries the UK is still well behind. With average speeds of over 16Mbps needed to place a country in the top 10 worldwide it looks like it's going to be many years before the UK catches up.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* We've been publishing speed test results since May 2008, longer than anyone else.
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* Our broadband price comparison is accredited by Ofcom as open, honest and transparent.
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* We are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.