Over a quarter of British holiday makers are heading to Spain this April
• Spain is the most popular holiday spot for car rentals during April 2011
• More than one quarter (28%) of Brits are heading to Spain for car rental holidays
• USA snaps up second place in the car hire league as Brits escape Royal Wedding hustle and bustle
LONDON, UK 20th April 2011 - Spain proved to be the most popular destination for over a quarter (28%) of Brits taking a car hire holiday during April 2011, with the extra bank holiday proving too much to resist for many. Other destinations listed in the top ten compiled by leading car hire comparison site, carhiremarket.com included the USA (2nd), Italy (3rd), Portugal (4th) and France (5th).
Proving to be an all-year-round destination for us chilly Brits, Spain also topped the charts during the winter months of 2010 / 2011. The USA is the second most popular fly drive destination (15%) for those trying to escape jam-packed bank holiday motorways coupled with the onslaught of tourists for the Royal Wedding weekend just after Easter.
With many Brits looking forward to taking just three days of their holiday allowance and getting a huge eleven days off in the sun this April, Anel Bruns, Product Manager at leading car rental price comparison site carhiremarket.com, advises drivers to do their homework before embarking on a journey: “Hiring a car is one of the best and easiest ways to explore new destinations, but before you jump behind the wheel of your rental car, research specific traffic rules and local driving etiquette to help boost your confidence and avoid unpleasant surprises.”
Driving in Spain – Five top tips to know before you go!
• Flash Your Headlights – Don’t be alarmed if Spanish drivers flash their headlights before overtaking you on the motorway. It is the law in Spain so make sure you do the same if you are about to pass another car.
• Take it easy on the alcohol – Drink driving laws are even stricter in Spain than the UK. The consumption limit is 0.05% which equates to around one small beer so take it easy when you’re sunning yourself on the veranda if you plan to get behind the wheel that day!
• Watch your speed – there has been a temporary change to the speed limit on motorways in Spain until further notice as a fuel saving measure. 110km/h is the absolute maximum, with 100km/h on open roads and 50 km/h in towns and remember you can receive an on-the-spot fine or even imprisonment if you break the law!
• Carry compulsory items at all times – there are several items you simply must carry when driving in Spain. These are a visibility vest, a warning triangle, all documentation (i.e. driving licence, vehicle registration and certificate of motor insurance if you are driving your own car), a replacement set of light bulbs and a spare pair of glasses if you are a wearer.
• Beware of smaller vehicles - Compared to the UK, you may be surprised at how many motorbikes and mopeds there are on the roads. Take extra care as they will weave in and out of traffic so be very aware at all times.
Carhiremarket.com April 2011 Holiday Car Rental League Table
Destination - Percent of total car hire bookings
1. Spain - 28%
2. USA - 15%
3. Italy - 7%
4. Portugal - 7%
5. France - 5%
6. Cyprus - 5%
7. UK - 4%
8. Greece - 3%
9. Germany - 3%
10. Morocco - 2%
For more information on car hire and for top holiday destinations visit www.carhiremarket.com
- ends -
carhiremarket.com is an independent price comparison website whereby customers can choose a car hire out of 24,000,000 offers from 130 suppliers and 90.000 stations in 178 countries and book directly.
carhiremarket.com is connected with the most reputable car hire suppliers worldwide over an XML-reservation interface. The customers can reserve their desired car hire with only two steps and can specify their offer by filtering through price, car category, equipment, doors / passenger and supplier. In addition, the customer can immediately see which services are included in the offer. Another advantage: Bookings can be made directly on the site.
By exclusively negotiated rates with the car rental companies carhiremarket.com also guarantees special terms and prices. Furthermore, our trained call centre provides support to our customers with their online reservations and also with any other questions around the subject rental car. They are available by phone from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – for free. The team care about concerns and booking procedures. From England you dial the free service-hotline 0800 098 82 20. Short news also on Twitter: http://twitter.com/carhiremarket.
0208 339 4420
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Wildfire in the following categories: Leisure & Hobbies, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.