Top comparator explains the pitfalls of holidaymakers' hire car mishaps and what to do to avoid any calamities
11 May 2011 – With the summer around the corner and many people booking their holidays in the sun, Carrentals.co.uk the leading UK comparator, has devised the ten most common faults that people run into when booking a hire car.
Carrentals.co.uk's Managing Director, Gareth Robinson, commented: “For travellers hiring a car on holiday for their added convenience, it's surprising how many of them fall foul to easily avoided mishaps, such as documentation, credit card limits and understand insurance policies.
“We have created a list of the ten most common mistakes that renters make, which will hopefully allow people to understand what not to do when they rent a car, and therefore have a safer and more enjoyable trip.”
The Top 10 car rental problems by Carrentals.co.uk
1. Cheap Rentals – Opting for the cheapest car is not always good value for money. If you struggle to fit your holidaymaker friends and family in it, there isn't much point in renting it. By booking early you can a larger range of cars to choose from, such as SUVs and people carriers.
2. Insurance Policy Mishaps – Total Damage Excess Waiver is one such insurance policy that covers you for the windscreen, excesses, roof, the underside and tyres. Many people aren't covered for the wheels or windscreen, which are the two things that are most likely to be damaged.
3. Record any damage – Before leaving the rental car park, check the car for damage and have a representative record the damage. If new damage is found and you haven't checked it, then you will be liable for it.
4. Don't forget the extras – If you're travelling to a cold country then you can opt for snow tyres or snow chains. One of the most common mistakes is not to add a sat nav or child seat into the car, which are sometimes not available on the day of pick up.
5. Limited credit card – Always check what the damage excess is from the hire company before handing over your credit card. If you haven't got the funds available if you have an accident then the hire car company can refuse to rent you the car.
6. Book early to avoid disappointment – The cost of car rental can rise the longer you leave it. It's best to book ahead to take advantage of offers and to ensure the car of your choice will be available.
7. Take the insurance – If you're offered insurance when you collect the car, make sure you're already covered at the time of when your bought the policy. In some cases if you take additional cover you might find you're covered twice.
8. Documentation check – In some countries you must show the return flight ticket, and usually your credit card, passport and full driving license (both parts), before a renter will allow you to take the car. In some cases, people forget these vital documentation and are refused rental.
9. Rules of the road – Not all road rules are the same as in the UK, so it is best to read up about driving in that particular country before setting off. For example, roundabouts in Turkey give way to those joining it, not the other way around.
10. Fuelling the hire car – some rental car companies prefer you to leave a full tank of fuel or for it to remain empty on its return. Make sure you understand which one as you could find yourself being overcharged. Also, make sure you know if it takes petrol or diesel as getting these two mixed up can have catastrophic affects on the engine.
Comparing more than 50 top hire car companies in over 15,000 worldwide locations, the top car hire comparator Carrentals.co.uk is well known for its great deals. To find out more about low cost hire cars, visit www.carrentals.co.uk.
Carrentals.co.uk was launched in February 2003 and grew to become one of the UK's leading online car hire companies by 2006.
In 2007 the company re-launched its site to create the first major online price comparator in the travel industry. Using the latest technology the Carrentals.co.uk site now searches up to 50 different car hire websites, providing an impartial comparison of the best prices available in over 15,000 locations.
Websites searched include Alamo, Auto Europe, Budget, Ebookers, Hertz, Holiday Autos, Opodo, Sixt and Thrifty, with the Carrentals.co.uk site quickly comparing prices and allowing customers to refine their search by car type.
The Carrentals.co.uk site also features over 5,000 pages of travel information in a mini-guide format.
In 2008 Carrentals.co.uk was voted Best Car Hire Website in the Travolution Awards, and in 2010 it was Highly Commended in the Best Meta-search/Price Comparison category. To book or for further information visit www.carrentals.co.uk
Rachel Builder & Jenny White
T: 01625 511966
F: 01625 511967
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Asap Ventures in the following categories: Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.