Mobile web users unhappy the world over - UK no exception
Maidenhead, UK - July 20, 2011 - Compuware Corporation (NASDAQ:CPWR), the technology performance company, today published the findings of a new survey that shows a significant portion of mobile consumers’ expectations are not being met as the result of poor mobile and application performance.
Today’s mobile users demand exceptional web experiences and highly satisfying, convenient, on-the-go mobile site speeds regardless of their mode of access. The independent survey of more than 4,000 global users worldwide, including 500 from the UK, was conducted to understand consumers’ mobile web and application expectations and experiences.
The new survey titled “What Users Want from Mobile,” reveals that global mobile users’ expectations are not being met, with a majority of users experiencing slow or unreliable mobile and application performance. As the survey findings illustrate, although mobile users expect quick, anytime transactions that work flawlessly every time, that’s not what they’re getting.
Key global and UK survey findings include:
• Mobile users’ expectations for mobile website speed continue to increase. 71% of global mobile web users and 56 % of UK mobile web users expect websites to load as quickly, almost as quickly or faster on their mobile phone compared to the computer they use at home.
• Nearly 60% of global web users say they expect a website to load on their mobile phone in 3 seconds or less (UK 49%) and 74% (UK 70%) are willing to wait 5 seconds or less for a single web page to load before leaving the site. 50% of web users (UK 40%) are only willing to wait 5 seconds or less for an application to load before exiting.
• 57% of web users (UK 54%) had a problem when accessing a website in the past year and 47% (UK nearly 40%) had a problem accessing an app from their phone with a quarter of respondents experience apps that crashed or froze (UK 37%). More than 80% (UK 78%) of mobile web users would access websites more often from their phone if the experience were as fast and reliable as their home or work PC or laptop.
• Mobile users do not have much patience for retrying a website or application that is not functioning straight away – a third will go to a competitor’s site instead (UK 29%). 78% of mobile web users (79% UK) are only willing to retry a website two times or less if it does not work initially. 80% of global users (81% UK) would only retry an app twice or less if it failed the first time.
• A bad experience on a mobile website leaves mobile users much less likely to return to, or recommend a particular website. Nearly half of mobile web users are unlikely to return to a website that they had trouble accessing from their phone and 57% (UK 56%) are unlikely to recommend the site.
“User expectations for mobile continues to increase, but companies in the UK are not meeting mobile users’ need for fast and reliable experiences. As a result, many companies are failing to take advantage of the opportunities being provided by increased mobile access,” said David Flower, VP EMEA Compuware’s APM division.
To read the full survey findings, go to http://ow.ly/5GYXO
To see a summary of the key mobile survey findings, download the infographic: http://ow.ly/5GYRz
The Gomez platform is the industry’s leading solution for optimizing the performance of web, non-web, mobile, streaming and cloud applications. Driven by end-user experience, Gomez provides a unified view across the entire application delivery chain, from a user’s browser or mobile device, across the Internet or a corporate WAN, in the cloud, to inside the data center, eliminating blind spots from the First Mile to the Last Mile.
Follow us on:
• Twitter - Compuware
• Twitter - GomezAPM
• APM Blog
Compuware Corporation, the technology performance company, provides software, experts and best practices to ensure technology works well and delivers value. Compuware solutions make the world’s most important technologies perform at their best for leading organizations worldwide, including 46 of the top 50 Fortune 500 companies and 12 of the top 20 most visited U.S. web sites. Learn more at: http://www.compuware.com.
Follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/compuware and http://twitter.com/GomezAPM
Lesley Booth / David Mieny, Six Degrees
Tel: 01628 480280
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Six Degrees Limited in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.