CAP issues new guidelines clamping down on broadband speed and “unlimited download” claims – Michael Phillips of Broadbandchoices.co.uk comments Thursday 29 September 2011 PDF Print "CAP's announcement is a positive step towards clamping down on what have to date been theoretical speed claims that are at best optimistic and in most cases completely unrealistic. Historically broadband speeds have been a major bone of contention for consumers - in our customer complaints survey, 77% of broadband customers cited poor speed/performance of internet connection as a reason that their broadband provider had failed to live up to their expectations. "Setting the advertised maximum speed at a figure that at least 10% of customers can actually achieve looks good at first glance – but it's cold comfort for the other 90% of customers that can't receive that speed. "It will be interesting to see what messaging providers opt for. Given Ofcom's recent broadband speed report findings, we would expect to see most providers having to advertise their current up to 20/24Mb speeds as up to 12Mb – a significant drop to current figures. "It's crucial that CAP ensures that any caveats or terminology used by advertisers are simple to understand – contention ratios and signal attenuation will mean nothing to my mother when she's considering switching services. "BT Infinity, together with Virgin Media's fibre optic service, will clearly be least affected by today's announcement given that these services actually live up to the advertised messages. "Ensuring that providers have to be more open about what "unlimited" really means is crucial. Our research revealed that 90% of broadband customers believe it is unfair to advertise a package as having 'unlimited downloads' if in reality it is not truly unlimited." Ends For further information please contact: Michael Phillips/Jon Ingram Broadbandchoices.co.uk 020 7400 6234 Karen Wagg/Emily Church Peregrine Communications 020 3178 5013 About Broadbandchoices.co.uk Broadbandchoices.co.uk was launched in 2005 and is the UK's leading Ofcom accredited broadband comparison calculator. We offer comprehensive and impartial advice on broadband, mobile broadband and bundled packages (broadband with home phone and digital TV) saving our users over £200 when they switch. The Broadbandchoices.co.uk calculator compares thousands of different combinations of packages and provides results in a clear, intuitive table where users can rank and compare services according to their individual needs. Broadbandchoices.co.uk powers over 20 leading comparison services including Confused.com, Comparethemarket.com and GoCompare.com. Broadbandchoices.co.uk – working hard to save you money This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of BroadbandChoices.co.uk in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Home & Garden, Consumer Technology, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.