over two thousand Beacons are expected to be lit simultaneously across the British Isles and the Commonwealth
As celebrations for bonfire night get underway, local community groups, parish councils, charities, country estates and historic houses across the country are being urged to start planning for another special night where bonfires and Beacons will be taking centre stage – The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacon events
On the evening of Monday 4th June 2012, over two thousand Beacons are expected to be lit simultaneously across the British Isles and the Commonwealth in celebration of The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. Individuals and groups interested in holding a Beacon celebratory event are being reminded to register their interest now to ensure they don’t miss the opportunity to be involved.
Beacon lighting and associated events will offer great way to raise money for a local or national charity of choice, or simply to celebrate with family and friends this historic occasion. An added bonus is that all official beacon events will be listed in a special commemorative book that will be given to The Queen after the event in a similar way to what happened for The Queen’s Golden Jubilee Beacons in June 2002. This book now resides in The Royal Library at Windsor Castle.
Bruno Peek OBE MVO OPR, Pagentmaster of The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons said, "This is a wonderful opportunity for everyone, from the smallest community groups to the largest country estates to be part of this truly once-in-a-lifetime event. Her Majesty The Queen is held in very great affection by the British people and the Beacon event will enable us all to pay homage to her and sixty years of outstanding, dedicated service”.
To help Organisers plan their event, Diamond Jubilee Beacons are working with Unity Insurance Services, specialist brokers for charities and voluntary organisations to provide special insurances for the Beacon events. Hira Choudhury-Inns, Managing Director of Unity Insurance Services, comments: “We are delighted to be part of this historic and exciting occasion. It’s time for everyone to save this date and start planning their own special Beacon event today”.
The Queen will become only the second monarch in British history to celebrate sixty years on the throne. Only Queen Victoria achieved this record. This will be a unique moment in history as another Royal Diamond Jubilee is unlikely in our current lifetime.
Unity’s Tips for Organising a Safe Diamond Jubilee Beacon Event (www.unityins.co.uk/unity_charity/jubilee/safety.html)
How to Get Involved (www.diamondjubileebeacons.co.uk)
Notes to Editors
- The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons is an important part of the main programme of events over the central Jubilee weekend (2nd – 5th June 2012) as previously announced by Buckingham Palace on 2nd June 2011. The Beacons will be lit between the hours of 10pm and 10-30pm on Monday 4th June 2012, with exact timings being sent to participants on 2nd May 2012. Her Majesty The Queen will be lighting the National Beacon in London around 10-30pm that night. Those wishing to take part in this ‘once in a lifetime opportunity’ can find out more, as well as registering their Beacon location online
- Unity Insurance Services is a specialist charity and voluntary sector insurance broker working with Diamond Jubilee Beacons to provide tailored event insurance and bonfire insurance to organisers of the Beacon events. Unity (owned by The Scout Association) donates all profits back to charitable causes. Unity provides specialist policies for bonfire and gas fired beacon events, including public liability, equipment hire and event cancellation and other insurances for charity & voluntary organisations.
- Types of Beacon: There are two types of Beacons being used. The traditional Bonfire Beacon that can be lit at locations previously undertaken for historic Beacon lighting events, those used for Bonfire nights as well as on the private country estates and farms throughout Britain. The Church Tower Beacon is ideal for Church Towers, Castle Battlements, historic houses, building with flat roofs, town and village squares and other areas when Bonfire Beacons cannot be lit. These Beacons can be linked to local community celebrations being organised in a city, town or village church hall, local pub, community centre or an associated activity coordinated by a local Diamond Jubilee Committee.
- The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons event welcomes participation from communities and groups from across the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, UK Overseas Territories and the Commonwealth .
- Picture credit: Hartlepool Borough Council
For further information or comment please contact:
Bruno Peek OBE MVO OPR, Pageantmaster, The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons on:
07737 262 913, or 07500 518 334 or email@example.com
Hira Choudhury-Inns, Managing Director, Unity Insurance Services on 0845 0945 702 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Amanda Barry-Hirst PR in the following categories: Entertainment & Arts, Leisure & Hobbies, Public Sector, Third Sector & Legal, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.