London, November 14, 2011 – Suntory Japanese whisky proposes a quintet of flavoursome cocktails to make the Christmas festivities go with a swing.
Created by top mixologist Zoran Peric, two of the cocktails celebrate the winter months of the traditional 24-season Japanese year. Three have been created by Zoran especially for a British Christmas with a Christmas Eve cocktail to set the mood, a Christmas Day aperitif in preparation for lunch and a Boxing Day Banger to make the party start.
Zoran has chosen ingredients likely to be found on Christmas drinks trolleys up and down the land for simple, easy- to-make drinks.
Christmas Eve cocktail
• 50ml Hibiki 17 YO blended whisky • 25ml Mandarine Napoleon • Vanilla pod (opened) • Mandarin orange peel/
• Tangerine peel
Christmas Day aperitif
• 50ml Hakushu 12 YO single malt whisky • 20ml dry sherry • 6ml sugar syrup • lemon peel.grapefruit peel
Boxing Day Banger
• 50ml Yamazaki 12 YO single malt whisky • 15ml sweet sherry • Orange peel
Name: HIBIKI HOLIDAY TOAST
• Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass • Add vanilla pod and mandarin zest • Strain over ice into a whisky glass • Garnish with curled tangerine peel
Name: SMOKEY HAKUSHU MARTINI
• Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass • Stir 30 times with lemon peel • Strain into a martini glass • Garnish with curled grapefruit peel
Name: YAMAZAKI YELL
• Pour ingredients over ice in a mixing glass • Stir 30 times • Strain into a chilled martini glass • Garnish with curled orange peel
The refined flavours and meticulous attention to detail of Japanese whisky are echoed in the subtle variations of the 24 Japanese seasons. Harmony with nature is a defining characteristic of Japanese culture. The cocktails for the month of December echo the seasons and their names. The first two weeks of December are called Taisetsu – the period of the large snows. The second two weeks are called Toji – the winter solstice – for which Zoran has created a flaming Christmas Blazer.
In celebrating these two seasons, Zoran has chosen elaborate symbols of Japan to create cocktails with a touch of luxury.
• 40ml Hibiki 17 YO blended whisky • 20ml Umeshu plum sake • 2 drops of chocolate bitters • 20ml hot water
• Green tea • Orange Zest • Dried tea flower
Winter Solstice (Christmas Blazer)
• 50ml Yamazaki 12 YO single malt whisky • 15ml Mandarine Napoleon • 6ml absinthe • Brown sugar, vanilla pod, cinnamon,
• Cloves, star anise • Orange peel
Name: HIBIKI TAISETSU
• Stir all ingredients with green tea • Strain into a warm balloon glass • Place flower into an old-fashioned glass
topped up with hot water • Place balloon glass on top of warm
old-fashioned glass and serve
Name: YAMAZAKI TOJI
• Stir half the whisky and all ingredients into a wide-topped glass and flame for 15 seconds
• Warm rest of Yamazaki in a balloon glass
• Pour flaming mix into the balloon glass for 5 seconds then extinquish by placing a napkin over the glass
Zoran, who is Brand Ambassador of Suntory whiskies, says: “The whiskies are exquisite and in these simple and adventurous recipes they add a new dimension to Christmas pleasure”.
- ends -
Note: Pronounciation of the whiskies’ names • Yamazaki – (Ya-ma-zarkee) • Hakushu – (Ha-koo-shoe) • Hibiki – (Hee-bee-kee)
Suntory single malt and blended whiskies are available from: Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, The Whisky Exchange, independent specialist retailers and drinkon.com priced from:
Yamazaki 12 year old £42
Hakushu 12 year old £49.95
Hibiki 17 year old £70
The Yamazaki range of single malt whiskies from Suntory is distributed in the UK by Cellar Trends. For all sales enquiries contact: email@example.com
See attached pdf for pictures of cocktails.
For further information and photographs of the cocktails contact:
V O I C E PR
020 7731 4526
020 7731 4489
V O I C E Public Relations Ltd, Riverbank House, 1 Putney Bridge Approach, London SW6 3JD
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Voice PR Ltd in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.