Any motorcycle insurance policy will demand that you keep your bike in good, roadworthy condition all year round. Fail to do so and you could find it invalidates a motorcycle insurance claim. On the upside, a bike that’s maintained well, to the manufacturer’s recommendations, could qualify for cheaper insurance cover. So what should riders be doing to prepare for winter? Motorcycle Direct have some top tips to keep you covered.
• Keep your bike in a warm place overnight to avoid fuel freezing
• Invest in a bike cover to help protect it from rust or mildew
• Wax the bodywork, it will create a barrier against winter weather
Carry out regular maintenance checks
• Ensuring lights and indicators are working
• Checking tyre pressures at least once a week and inflating them according to manufacturer’s standards
• Making sure brake pads have plenty of wear and brake fluid is topped up
• Checking oil and coolant levels regularly
• Ensure your chain has the correct amount of slack at the tightest spot (about 1 inch play)
• Renew dirty or corroded spark plugs
Vehicle inspection tests are available from most mechanics or motoring organisations and can give you peace of mind that your bike is in the best condition to deal with winter weather and keep you safe on the road.
You should make sure your MOT is up to date otherwise your motorcycle insurance will be invalid.
One way to avoid bike accidents in winter is to be more aware of the driving conditions. If roads are slippery or winds are strong, slow down, keep your distance and take extra care.
If in doubt: don’t ride
Many motorcycle accidents – and bike insurance claims – could be avoided if riders simply stayed put during bad weather or make other travel arrangements. No matter how experienced you are, conditions such as dense fog or heavy snow should be taken as warning signs that it’s just too risky.
You can find more information on winter biking on the Motorcycle Direct website, within the advice and tips section.
For more information about motorbike insurance visit http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Equi=Media Limited in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Motoring, Personal Finance, Transport & Logistics, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.