Lookout offers tips to keep your smartphone safe this Christmas
Christmas and New Year is a time to be merry and full of festive cheer. But when it comes to losing or having your mobile phone stolen, cheer can soon turn to tears, according to Lookout Mobile Security (www.mylookout.com), the leader in mobile security.
In a recent survey conducted by Lookout among mobile users, around two-thirds admitted they were ‘very worried’ or ‘worried’ about their phone being lost or stolen, a figure that is set to rise as we embark on a series of parties, presents and pantomimes. A third of those questioned confessed that they could last just a couple of minutes to a couple of hours if their phone was lost or stolen – 10 per cent couldn’t survive at all!
While most expressed serious concerns over the safety of their phones and what is on them, very few actually do anything to protect them, according to Lookout’s research. More than 85 per cent have no way of tracking a lost or stolen phone, 60 per cent do not use a PIN or passcode and 74 per cent do not regularly back up personal contacts and information.
With less than two weeks to go until the ‘big day’, Lookout has provided some simple tips on how to keep your mobile safe during the Christmas and New Year holiday period:
• Be crowd-aware – if you are at a Christmas party, in a busy shop or running around town on public transport, keep your phone tucked deep in your bag or in a zipped pocket out of sight.
• Lock the door – set a password, PIN or a handset lock on your phone to make it difficult for anyone to use it if you lose it.
• Secure & protect – use a free mobile security app like Lookout to safeguard your phone. If it goes missing you can track its location, sound an alarm and even wipe the contents remotely. Download Lookout in the Android Market or App Store.
• Think before you download – One of the most exciting things to do with your smartphone is explore all the great applications you can download onto it. But, as you explore make sure you only download apps from sites you trust, check the app’s rating and read the reviews to make sure it is widely used and respected.
• Don’t go public – Public Wifi networks are everywhere – coffee shops, train stations, cafes, etc – but security for these networks is not. Be careful what you do on public Wifi, and in particular use extra caution when shopping and mobile banking unless you’re confident you have a secure connection.
Notes for editors:
Lookout offers free security for Android smartphones and tablets, in addition to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It includes security, basic data backup and find-my-phone capabilities. Lookout Premium for Android provides additional protection, including Safe Browsing to protect users from unsafe links and websites, Privacy Advisor that clarifies the personal information accessed by each mobile app, and remote lock-and-wipe capabilities for £1.99 a month or £19.99 a year. For more information, visit www.mylookout.com.
UK Market Survey
Lookout Mobile Security commissioned a survey among 1,000 UK mobile phone users during October 2011. For more research findings, please contact the UK PR team.
About Lookout Mobile Security
Lookout is a mobile security company dedicated to making the mobile experience safe for everyone. Lookout delivers award-winning protection from the growing threats facing mobile users today, including malware, phishing, privacy violations, data loss, and loss of the phone itself. Cross-platform, Lookout is designed from the ground up to provide advanced mobile protection while remaining lightweight and efficient on the phone. With 12 million users across 400 mobile networks in 170 countries, Lookout is the world leader in smartphone security. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout is funded by Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Index Ventures, Khosla Ventures and Trilogy Equity Partners. For more information and to download the application, please visit www.mylookout.com.
UK media team:
Amanda Hassall or Kathryn Cotsworth, Six Degrees Ltd
+44 (0)1628 480280
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Six Degrees Limited in the following categories: Men's Interest, Women's Interest & Beauty, Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.