Seasalt and John Lewis celebrate launch in true Cornish style upon London’s Golden Hinde.
Seasalt will be celebrating their collaboration with John Lewis and the launch of their Spring Summer 2012 collection upon The Golden Hinde in London on Thursday 9th February, with all press welcome to attend.
The Cornish fashion company were moved to create their brand new ‘Artists and Potters’ collection that has been designed exclusively for six John Lewis stores including Oxford Street and online, after finding an old photograph of St. Ives sculptor Barbara Hepworth from the early 1960’s.
The photograph which was taken in Hepworth’s studio gave Seasalt the original idea to create the collection. Garments inspired by the same clarity of light and maritime heritage that influenced generations of artists, such as the great Cedric Morris and Ben Nicholson who came to St. Ives for its natural creative atmosphere, are reflected in the Artists and Potters collection today.
A spokesperson from the John Lewis buying team expressed their delight with the business venture: ''We are delighted to be welcoming Seasalt into John Lewis as we are still seeing a demand for nautical style trends. Our customers are always looking for new and exciting pieces, so we are pleased to include this refreshing brand into our casual offer.'
Helping Seasalt celebrate the launch and to get the party atmosphere started upon the replica Tudor warship is Seasalt's sponsored sea shanty group, Du Hag Owr. Not only will traditional Cornish music be supplied, but a delicious authentic Cornish pasty supper that you won’t find anywhere else!
The Golden Hinde was picked for its historic features as the ideal location for Seasalt to celebrate the partnership with John Lewis. Best known for its circumnavigation of the globe by Sir Francis Drake, the Tudor galleon eventually finished its journey in Plymouth, on the southwest coast of England. Now moored at Pickfords Wharf, London, the Golden Hinde will showcase not only the Artists and Potters collection, but Cornwall and St. Ives to a national audience also.
The Artists and Potters collection embraces Seasalt's reputation for high quality, pretty, yet practical clothing that references nautical garments traditionally worn in St. Ives. Skirts, tops and jackets use textile designs that reflect the unique identity of the town, with names like ‘Hepworth Stripe’ and ‘Fore Street Flowers’.
Seasalt celebrated their thirtieth birthday this year, and still hold St Ives and its natural beauty as an inspirational place in their hearts. Neil Chadwick, Seasalt Creative Director said ‘St. Ives has a special atmosphere, and a unique history of British art. A walk around the streets of St. Ives, the little studios clustered amongst the granite cottages, the Leach pottery, and the Tate with its ceramic collection, were all an incredible source of inspiration. Thirty years later we’re still living and working in the area, which provides us with a source of inspiration daily.’
Invite for press:
•If any press would like to attend the event please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
•The Artists and Potters collection will be launching online and in five John Lewis stores nationwide, these are:
Nottingham, Solihull, Cardiff, Kingston and London Oxford Street.
• Seasalt started in 1981 when Don Chadwick and son David went to Penzance to buy a jacket on a wet day in August 1980. They got on so well with Mrs, Strutt, the owner of the Army and Navy surplus shop, they ended up buying it. Sons, Leigh, David and Neil Chadwick are still involved to this day with the business.
• Seasalt contribute towards maintaining and promoting local traditions and skills, by sponsoring gig rowing clubs and a sea shanty choir, as well as working with schools on creative projects, and regularly fundraising for local charities. Seasalt have raised over £18k in the last three years for charity.
• Seasalt is an eclectic team, filled with designers from a variety of backgrounds who all love Cornwall. Fashion designers sit alongside fine artists, illustrators and creative writers, creating a melting pot of ideas and innovation.
• Visit the Seasalt ‘About Us’ page on the website for more information on the unique materials that they use: www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/customer/fabricstories
• You can visit Seasalt in one of their 12 shops, or visit: www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of SeaSalt Limited in the following categories: Retail & Fashion, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.