Tesco has announced a new way for customers to support their Charity of the Year, Cancer Research UK. When customers exchange their gold for cash through the Tesco Gold Exchange, they will have the option to donate a percentage of their proceeds directly to Cancer Research UK, which Tesco Gold Exchange will then top up to raise even more money.*
The money raised through Tesco Gold Exchange will help Tesco reach its £10 million fundraising target to support Cancer Research UK’s research into the early diagnosis and detection of cancer. Early diagnosis helps to ensure more people beat cancer by receiving treatment at a time when it is more likely to be successful.
The partnership comes as Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life, which is being sponsored by Tesco for the eleventh year running, gets into full swing. Race for Life is an amazing women-only series of events where women can choose whether to walk, jog or run a 5k or 10k route.
Euan Ballantyne from Tesco Gold Exchange said, “Trading in unwanted gold is a great way for everyone to get involved in fundraising. It’s a quick and easy process and can be done online from the comfort of your own home.”
Claire Rowney, Head of Corporate Partnerships at Cancer Research UK said: “We’re always keen to explore different ways to fundraise and that’s why we are working with Tesco Gold Exchange to offer our supporters a new way of contributing towards our life saving research. Donations will mean our scientists can focus on more research to find out how we can get cancer diagnosed earlier and help more people to survive cancer in the future.”
For more information visit: www.tescogoldexchange.com
For media enquiries please contact:
Adam Treslove, Tesco Bank, Adam.Treslove @tescobank.com, 0131 479 1345
Gabriella Heard, Fishburn Hedges, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 7544 3071
Notes to Editors
*Tesco Gold Exchange will top up all donations to the value of 30p per gram of gold exchanged.
Tesco Gold Exchange
Put your unwanted gold to better use – simply send it to us for a great price.
• Tesco Gold Exchange currently offers £9.525 per gram of 9 carat gold*, which is higher than H. Samuel, H&T Pawnbrokers and Postgoldforcash (recommended partner of WH Smith).
• On average customers receive £308 for gold jewellery.
• Tesco customers can earn 1 Clubcard point for every £1 value.
• Customers can get an indicative quote by using the online calculator
• The service is safe and secure and customers’ gold is returned free of charge if you don’t wish to proceed.
• Payments are made immediately to the customer’s bank account using faster payments once the offer has been accepted or within 3 days if faster payments are not available.
* price correct as of 06/06/2012 Price per gram of gold is subject to change.
Cancer Research UK is Tesco’s Charity of the Year 2012 and together we hope to raise £10million to fund 32 early diagnosis and detection research projects across the UK. This will help more people survive cancer and keep more families together www.cancerresearchuk.org/tesco
1. Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research. This groundbreaking work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives and is entirely by the public. Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years. Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses. Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to beat cancer. For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1861 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org
2. Tesco Charity of the Year - Since 1988, Tesco has chosen a different charity every year to be the focus for staff fundraising. The Tesco Charity Trust tops up staff fundraising by 20%, up to a maximum of £500,000. www.tesco.com
3. The partnership will be supported throughout the year by a range of product promotions in Tesco stores which will carry a donation to the charity. A donation of 0.0125p will also be made by Tesco Personal Finance PLC every time a cash machine is used at Tesco until 29 February 2013. Clubcard customers can now donate their points to CRUK.
4. CRUK’s Race for Life in partnership with Tesco is now open for entries. The entry fee is £14.99 for adults and £10 for girls under 16. This covers the costs of staging the event series and means that money raised in sponsorship can go to help beat cancer. Race for Life raises money that goes towards beating over 200 types of cancer affecting both men and women. Enter now at www.raceforlife.org or via the hotline on 0871 641 1111
5. Tesco is committed to helping the nation fight cancer and since 2000 has raised over £30 million to help a range of UK cancer charities to deliver services in prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care for people in communities across the UK. In 2010, Tesco raised a record breaking £7.5 million in one year to ensure every child being treated for cancer in the UK had access to a Clic Sargent children’s cancer nurse. In addition, Tesco has recently funded a pilot nutrition project with the University College London Hospital (UCLH) to improve access to free food for teenagers receiving treatment for cancer in hospital, helping them to avoid developing cachexia. Tesco are in the business of ensuring people have good, nutritious food and are therefore in a unique position to help people who suffer from weight loss and muscle wasting as a result of their cancer treatment.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Arena Media in the following categories: Health, Sport, Business & Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.