there is a growing need to support large garden owners.
Leading UK garden designer Andrew Fisher Tomlin has made a call for more advice to be available to those people with larger gardens to encourage them to make productive use of their asset and not sell off for development.
Andrew said “As a company we are lucky enough that much of our work is in the green belt around London but increasingly we are finding clients are daunted by the prospect of keeping up a large garden. It might seem like a great problem to have but eventually some of these people start thinking it would be better to sell off part of the garden to developers and whilst we need space for new homes we are also losing a great natural asset.”
Fisher Tomlin believes that whilst there is plenty of focus on small garden design and landscaping there is a growing need to support large garden owners. “ Often the owners of these gardens are coming up for retirement and want the tools to know how to look after the garden as they get older. There are some great organisations like Thrive helping people carry on gardening but more advice on low maintenance ideas would help enormously.”
Andrew’s top five tips for reducing the maintenance and cost of a large garden include:
• Cut out weekly lawn cutting by establishing longer grass areas, planting wild flower plugs and bulbs to encourage wildlife.
• Turn over neglected areas of the garden to orchard trees.
• Share your garden with young people who don’t have their own garden on the basis of sharing the produce that they harvest.
• Introduce more shrubs into borders to reduce the maintenance that has been created by the trend towards big perennial borders.
• Plant with water wise methods using dense planting to retain moisture in the ground and cut down the need for irrigation.
Fisher Tomlin create gardens from their offices in Wimbledon, London and Chobham in Surrey. The company provides design and horticulture services for residential gardens and parks across Europe and beyond for which they have received a number of international awards.
For further information please contact Andrew Fisher Tomlin on
Telephone: +44(0) 1276 855900 or +44 (0) 7957 855457
Website address : www.andrewfishertomlin.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of e-Zone UK in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Health, Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, Environment & Nature, Education & Human Resources, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.