Advances Unique Usability, Management and Hybrid 802.1X and Agentless NAC Features
Cupertino, Calif. — 16 October 2012 — ForeScout Technologies, Inc., a leading provider of automated security control solutions for Global 1000 enterprises and government organisations, today recast the network access control (NAC) landscape with the release of ForeScout CounterACT 7 – delivering hybrid 802.1X and agentless NAC functionality that makes it easier to deploy, manage and scale network access control, particularly for organisations that are seeking to enable a bring your own device (BYOD) strategy. With CounterACT, commercial enterprises and government agencies can achieve continuous network access and endpoint compliance while upholding end user experience and critical operations.
“IT defences need to evolve to address the changing risk landscape and user behaviour. NAC has played an important role for a number of years policing what devices are allowed on a network and that their configuration meets required policies. NAC is also now recognised as a key technology to manage the unstoppable trend for users to access a business's IT resources with their own devices," said Bob Tarzey, analyst and director at Quocirca. "ForeScout's CounterACT 7.0 makes the job of securing BYOD and CYOD easier as it supports both 802.1X and agentless NAC to discriminate between managed, unmanaged and non-compliant devices for smartphones and tablets, as well as PCs.”
“For any health institution, patient care is paramount. IT must enable clinicians to take advantage of the latest technologies that can best serve the patient - often supporting both hospital-provisioned and personal devices, but mindful of protecting sensitive information,” said Steve Orman, now director of IM&T at NHS Royal Surrey County Hospital. “Within my previous NHS role we extensively lab-tested the leading NAC solutions in terms of ease of use, features, operating flexibility and cost. Consistently, CounterACT met our requirements. More so, we could use it in a wide variety of security and network applications which is proving to be a sound IT investment.”
ForeScout CounterACT 7 sets the bar for NAC deployment ease and manageability, strong authentication and integration with over four-dozen new and enhanced features, including:
NAC “Hybrid Mode” combines 802.1X with other authentication methods for easier implementation and improved user experience.
- By combining 802.1X with other authentication mechanisms, ForeScout CounterACT allows managed and personal mobile devices to access network resources with less trouble, less delay and little to no assistance from IT.
- By offering a built-in RADIUS service, proxy for RADIUS and agentless authentication, ForeScout CounterACT lets IT managers deploy NAC more quickly and thoroughly, including locations where the network infrastructure does not, cannot or would take time to support 802.1X device authentication.
- User experience is preserved even when 802.1x authentication fails by allowing policy enforcement via employee credentialed or guest-enrolled access.
Continuous Monitoring and Remediation capabilities extend the power of CounterACT as an automated security control platform for greater IT responsiveness and compliance assurance.
- See 802.1X trouble spots before you start to enforce network access control. Fix potential problems with CounterACT 7.0 automated 802.1X supplicant remediation tools.
- Comprehensive monitoring of endpoint security posture ensures your network stays secure, even with BYOD devices on it.
- New tactical map provides at-a-glance view of site compliance and issues, along with the ability to drill down to investigate and remediate problems. With a click, operators can get vitals on thousands of devices and gain situational awareness by location, device type, violation or business unit.
- New advanced search capabilities give IT managers a convenient ability to dice and slice security and operational data to locate and report on device types, operating systems, applications, violations, and important mobile attributes such as rooted smartphones and tablets, or rogue wireless access points.
Plug-n-play Interoperability ensures that CounterACT works with what you have today and allows operators to easily apply device and role-based access enforcement policies to take full advantage of vendor specific network, security, identity and mobile attributes.
- Enhanced WiFi integration with VLAN quarantine for Cisco, Aruba and other WiFi vendors supporting MAB and RADIUS to unify guest networking.
- Built-in mobile device templates and two-way mobile device management (MDM) integration offer enrolment, inventory, policy checks on access and network enforcement, and delivers a broad range of controls for managed and unmanaged mobile devices.
- New External Data Source plug-in allows customers to readily integrate CounterACT with leading enterprise databases and to utilise this data as properties within CounterACT policies and reports.
Other CounterACT 7 advances include:
- Greater scalability and simplified administration as the latest CounterACT now supports up to 10,000 network devices per appliance. A CounterACT Enterprise manager appliance can centrally maintain up to 200 CounterACT physical or virtual appliances dynamically, all from one console.
- Built-in RADIUS service lowers cost of ownership, speeds deployment and eases troubleshooting in 802.1X environments, while offering high availability as a secondary RADIUS server.
- CounterACT real-time endpoint visibility includes enhanced mobile device profile templates and new device hardware, Windows machine certificate and dual-homed network device details.
ForeScout CounterACT Availability
ForeScout CounterACT 7 is available now. The automated security control platform, which is delivered as an integrated, out-of-band physical or virtual appliance, is priced at $13,995 for up to 500 devices and $142,000 for the CounterACT 10000 appliance. The platform upgrade is available at no cost to customers under maintenance. CounterACT is also available as a managed service through authorised providers.
“If you, like other IT professionals, are tasked with how to secure BYOD devices, deliver greater accessibility and reduce security operational costs then ForeScout should be on your shortlist,” said Gord Boyce, CEO of ForeScout. “We welcome IT organisations taking our ForeScout CounterACT 7 platform for a test-drive and seeing first hand how a best-in-class, next-generation NAC is easy to deploy and effective as a business and security enabler.”
About ForeScout Technologies, Inc.
ForeScout enables organisations to accelerate productivity and connectivity by allowing users to access corporate network resources where, how and when needed without compromising security. ForeScout’s automated solutions for network access control, mobile security, endpoint compliance and threat prevention empower IT agility while preempting risks and eliminating remediation costs. Because the ForeScout CounterACT platform is easy to deploy, unobtrusive, intelligent and scalable, it has been chosen by more than 1,300 of the world’s most secure enterprises and military installations for global deployments spanning 37 countries. Headquartered in Cupertino, California, ForeScout delivers its solutions through its network of authorised partners worldwide. Learn more at www.forescout.com.
For further information, or a CounterACT 7 tactical map screenshot, please contact:
+44 (0)1296 394000 or +44 (0)7930 301601
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Bratton PR (Middlesex) in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.