1.2 million children in the UK have long term speech, language and communication needs and will struggle to express themselves this Christmas
Friends and family won’t be lost for words when they unwrap a unique gift from Adopt A Word this Christmas. A thoughtful gift that’s perfect for all ages, any special word, real or made-up, can be wrapped up and given to a loved one this Christmas for just £15.
Ideal for those avoiding the High Street this December, this truly personal gift is just a mouse-click away. Simply choose the word that fits your loved-one the best – perhaps you’ll pick a word they use in every other sentence, a slogan that best sums them up, or something unusual for them to slip into conversation. You can even create your own words, meaning that you can now adopt nicknames and miss-sayings which might mean something special. You can also adopt multiple words to create a special phrase.
As well as receiving an adoption pack in the post (or via email if it’s a last minute gift), there’s the added option of having the adopted word proudly emblazoned on a variety of merchandise, such as mugs, t-shirts, fridge magnets and keyrings. New merchandise for 2012 includes cotton bags, aprons and umbrellas and prices range from £5 to £18.
The best thing about this ethical Christmas gift, is that all the money raised goes to I CAN, the children’s communication charity. 1.2 million children in the UK have long term speech, language and communication needs and will struggle to express themselves this Christmas – or any other time of year. I CAN work to ensure these children get the help and support they need so they can live happy and successful lives.
Word adoptees will join other high-profile supporters who love words and want to help children communicate. These include Stephen “wordy” Fry, Henry “tenacious” Winkler, Miranda “clutch” Hart, Sara “blossom” Cox and many more.*
To browse words from the Collins English Dictionary or create your own word for adoption, whilst helping children in the UK who’ll find it difficult to say ‘Merry Christmas’ this year, visit www.adoptaword.com today.
For more information, pictures or interviews please contact Lesley Singleton at LS Media Ltd on 01234 752 663 / 07852 451 093 / Lesley@LSMedia.co.uk
Notes to editors:
For more information on Adopt a Word, please go to http://www.adoptaword.com
For more information on I CAN, please go to http://www.ican.org.uk
*The reasons celebrities gave for their adoptions were varied. Stephen Fry adopted ‘wordy’ because “wordy is so...well wordy isn’t it?” Henry Winkler adopted the word ‘tenacious’ because “I’m going to put my certificate on my office wall as a reminder to never give up.” Miranda Hart adopted the word ‘clutch’ because “it’s a great word to say as it involves a pleasing variety of consonants but only one vowel.” And Sara Cox adopted ‘blossom’ because “that’s what I want my kids to do at school, whether it’s academically, creatively, or making friends.”
For details on more celebrity adoptions and the reasons for their words, please go to http://www.adoptaword.com/celebrities.php
About I CAN
• I CAN is the children’s communication charity.
• We are here to ensure that no child is left out or left behind because of a difficulty speaking or understanding.
• Nobody wants a child’s potential to be wasted. It happens because communication difficulties are not visible, often mistaken for something else, or not noticed at all.
• I CAN’s mission is to make sure that everyone in contact with children knows how important communication is, what a communication difficulty looks like and what they can do to help.
• We do this through:
- Increasing public awareness of the problems children face.
- Giving expert advice to parents and families about what to look out for and what to do via our enquiry service.
- Providing assessments for children so that their families know what support will meet their needs.
- Giving teachers and people working with children the skills to help children who struggle.
- Campaigning to ensure children and families get a better deal.
- Producing resources, DVDs, posters and other information to help parents and practitioners support children with their communication development.
At the very heart of I CAN are our special schools which give expert care and education to children with problems so severe their needs cannot be met elsewhere.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Playtime PR in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.