Fromage for love with Pilgrims Choice
Love really doesn’t have to cost a thing, well not too much anyway, with these quick and easy recipes from Pilgrims Choice. These inexpensive dishes will help you cater for your big day on a small budget.
It’s no surprise, in a nation of cheese lovers like us Brits, cheese is becoming increasingly important on the wedding catering list. An interesting development in the wedding cake market has been the introduction and increasing popularity of cheese wedding cakes. There are a raft of British companies creating savoury wedding cakes including cheese.
Brides and grooms are trying to take care of the pennies, resulting in a revival of cheddar and pineapple on a stick. With retro cooking becoming ever more popular it’s no surprise that this old favourite is back on the menu.
Check out these recipes from Pilgrims Choice and blow your budget on the dress!
Vintage Cheddar Biscuits with a Cheddar dip
Serves: 6 Prep: 20mins Cook: 10mins Preheat oven: 190c Cost per serving: 48p
A divine little treat to impress your guests. Just multiply the ingredient quantities accordingly.
Biscuit Ingredients (makes approx 15 large heart and 15 small heart shaped biscuits):
100g Plain flour
100g Butter at room temperature
100g Pilgrims vintage cheddar cheese, grated.
Ground black pepper.
150ml soured cream
60g Pilgrims Mature Cheddar, finely grated
Small bunch of snipped chives and extra garnish
Ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5, 375f, 190c.
2. Place all the biscuit ingredients into a bowl.
3. Run together all the ingredients until a soft ball of dough is formed.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of about 3mm. Use a heart shaped cutter to cut out the biscuits.
5. Place on a baking sheet and bake on a high shelf in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
6. Move to a wire rack to cool. Serve fresh or store in an airtight container.
For the dip:
Mix together all the ingredients in a ramekin and sprinkle with some extra snipped chives. Serve with the cheese biscuits.
• Coat the biscuits with sesame or poppy seeds prior to baking to create a different finish and texture.
• 3 Also serve with a selection of vegetable crudités such as red peppers, carrots and celery cut into batons.
Red Pepper, Tomato and Vintage Cheddar tartlets with a hint of chilli
Serves: 8 Prep: 15mins Cook: 1hr 45mins Preheat oven: 200c
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
50g olive oil
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
200g ready-made puff pastry
2 Ramiro red peppers cut into strips
salt and pepper
200g Pilgrims Choice Vintage cheddar, grated
1. Cook the onions in olive oil until soft and melting for about 30mins.
2. Add the tomatoes, chilli, garlic, rosemary and peppers to the onions and cook over a gentle heat for about 45mins, stirring occasionally until everything has reduced and become really thick. Remove from the heat, cool and add some seasoning.
3. Meanwhile, roll out the pastry and line 8 individual tart tins.
4. Scatter half of the cheese in the base of the pastry cases. Spoon in the tomato filling and finish with the remaining grated cheese.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200c, 400f or gas mark 6 for about 30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden. Serve warm or cool.
Cheddar and Parma Ham Canapés and Pilgrims Choice Smoked Salmon Whirls
Makes: 15 Prep: 45mins
250g (9oz) Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature cheddar, finely grated
2 x 200g tubs low fat soft cheese
4 tbsp chopped fresh chives, parsley or dill
season to taste with freshly ground black pepper
120g pack smoked salmon
80g pack Parma ham
Small crackers or crostini, to serve
Fresh herb sprigs, to garnish
1. Mix together the grated cheddar, soft cheese and chopped herbs. Season with a little black pepper.
2. Spread half the cheese mixture evenly over the salmon slices and roll them up tightly. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
3. Place 2 slices of Parma ham on top of each other to give 3 piles. Spread the remaining cheese mixture evenly over the slices and roll them up tightly. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
4. Slice the salmon and Parma ham rolls with a sharp knife and serve them on top of small crackers or crostini, garnished with fresh herb sprigs.
Asparagus, Prosciutto, and Cheese Tapas
Serves: 8 Prep: 5mins Cook: 15mins Preheat oven: 200c
A delicious appetiser which can be served solo with dressed leaves or rustic ciabatta
24 spears of asparagus, trimmed (480g)
8 slices prosciutto ham (80g)
100g Pilgrims Choice Mature cheddar
30g olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200c, 400f or gas mark 6.
2. Blanch the asparagus in a large pan of boiling water for a few minutes until tender. Drain and lay out on absorbent paper to remove any excess liquid.
3. Group the asparagus into bundles of three. Wrap each bundle around the middle section of the stalks with a slice of prosciutto.
4. Place the bundles on a baking sheet or in an ovenproof dish. Grate over half of the cheese, drizzle with olive oil and finish with some black pepper.
5. Bake in the oven for 10mins until the cheese has melted and the prosciutto begins to go crispy.
6. Serve immediately with the remaining cheese shaved over the asparagus.
Cooks tip: The asparagus can be grilled for 5-10mins as an alternative to baking in the oven.
Notes to editors
Pilgrims Choice prides itself on championing a better choice of cheese, going to great lengths to find and hand select the best cheese for your enjoyment. To explore our range of cheeses on offer and read more about our latest recipes, visit www.pilgrimschoice.com
For further information contact Mercieca Ltd:
E: email@example.com or T: +44 207 485 0100
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Mercieca Ltd in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Health, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.