Pilgrims Choice Lighter and damn proud of it
When you think lighter cheese, do you sigh at the thought of a piece of tasteless and dry cheddar? Well not anymore. Pilgrims Choice is taking a stand against bland low fat cheese with their Lighter Mature and Extra Mature cheddars; they’re strong and punchy with only one difference – 30% less fat!
This New Year, instead of eating bland, tasteless food, let the lighter range from the choosiest cheese company treat your tongue and your trouser line at the same time. For once lighter doesn’t mean that your taste buds are forced to compromise, as Pilgrims Choice lighter cheddar tastes just as good at its full fat equivalents. And don’t just take their word for it! Pilgrims Choice Lighter Extra Mature scooped Gold in the lighter cheese category at The National Cheese Awards.
Choice Avocado Quesadilla
Prep: 5 mins Cooking: 8 mins Serves 4
Nutrition: 337kcal, 12.1g protein, 29.9g carbohydrate, 19.6g fat, 5.9g saturated fat, 2.8g fibre, 1.04g salt
Choose the smaller 18cm wide tortillas wraps for this recipe. Perfect for a quick lunch or supper. Add some shredded cooked chicken to the filling if you like.
1 ripe avocado, peeled and stoned
1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
salt and pepper
100g Pilgrims Lighter Choice Mature
4 tortilla wraps
a little sunflower oil to brush
1. Mash the avocado with the lime juice. Stir in the tomato, chilli, spring onion and mix, then season to taste. Place two tortillas on a board then leaving a 1cm border clear around the edges, spread the avocado over the tortillas then scatter over the cheese.
2. Brush the edges with water then place the remaining tortilla on top. Press to seal the edges. Preheat a frying pan. Brush both sides of the quesadilla with a little oil, then cook them in the hot pan for 3-4 mins on each side until they are crisp and golden.
3. Transfer to a board and cut each into 6-8 pieces, divide between four plates and serve with a salad garnish.
Choice Chunky Bean Soup
Prep: 5 mins Cooking: 18 mins Serves 4
Nutrition: 289kcal, 18.5g protein, 13.7g fat, 5.6g saturated fat, 7.7g fibre, 1.7g salt
Contains over a third of your RDA of calcium, magnesium, vit C and counts for 4 of your 5-A-DAY
The cheese melts into this bean soup balancing the mild spices and chunky vegetables transforming them into a truly special soup. It’ll become a firm family favourite!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 (400g) can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
750ml (1 1/2pt) vegetable stock
1 (400g) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 courgette, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g/5oz Lighter Choice Mature cheese, grated
2 tbsp chopped flat parsley
crusty bread to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, carrot and pepper and saute over a medium heat for 3 mins to soften. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the tomatoes, puree and stock, then season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins or until the carrots feel tender.
3. Stir in the beans and courgette, then simmer for a further 5 mins. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
4. Divide the soup between four bowls, heap cheese into the centre of each and scatter over the parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Choice Peppers and Eggs
Prep: 5 mins Cooking: 20 mins Serves 4
Nutrition: 312kcal, 20.2g protein, 21.2g fat, 7.4g saturated fat, 3.0g fibre, 1.0g salt
Contains over a third of your RDA of calcium and vit C and counts for 2 of your 5-A-DAY
A healthy brunch, lunch or supper for all the family. You could spice it up by adding a chopped fresh red chilli to the pan along with the garlic.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1 orange or yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried basil or oregano
6 medium eggs
125g Lighter Choice Extra Mature, grated
flat leaf parsley to garnish
crusty bread and salad leaves to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and peppers and saute over a high heat for 5 mins until softened and lightly golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, herbs and salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Simmer over a medium heat for 5 mins or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
3. Use a spoon to make 6 hollows in the tomato mixture. Carefully crack an egg into each of the hollows. Cover the pan with a lid or baking sheet, and cook over a low heat for about 5-6 mins or until the eggs are nearly set. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and pop under a hot grill for 2-3 mins until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Scatter over the parsley and serve with crusty bread and salad leaves.
Choice Stuffed Peppers
Prep: 10 mins Cooking: 25-30mins Serves 4
Nutrition: 292kcal, 15.9g protein, 17.7g fat, 7.3g saturated fat, 4.2g fibre, 1.23g salt
Contains over a third of your RDA of calcium and vit C and counts for 3 of your 5-A-DAY
Flavoured with pesto and cheese these easy to make peppers look impressive. They also taste good served cold.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
150g small cherry tomatoes, halved
16 pitted black olives, halved
2 tbsp pesto sauce
175g/6oz Lighter Choice Mature, grated
25g/1oz dried white breadcrumbs
4 red peppers
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC/Fan 180oC/Gas Mark 6. Cut the peppers in half through the stalk and carefully remove the seeds. Place the peppers cut side up in a baking dish.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and saute for 5 mins until it is softened. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomatoes, olives, pesto, breadcrumbs and mix well. Stir in half the cheese.
3. Divide the mixture between the peppers. Cover the dish loosely with foil and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 mins. Remove the foil, scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for a further 20 mins until the peppers are tender and golden. Serve two per person with salad.
Choice, Onion and Sweet Chilli Thins Sandwich
Prep: 5 mins Cooking: none Makes 1 sandwich
Nutrition: 394kcal, 19.5g protein, 13.4g fat, 6.8g saturated fat, 3.6g fibre, 2.08g salt
Contains over a third of your RDA of calcium and counts for 1 of your 5-A-DAY
40g Lighter Choice Extra Mature, grated
half a small red onion, sliced
3tsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
2 slices Warburton’s Sandwich Thins
a little low fat spread
1 tomato, sliced
1. Mix together the chese, onion and chilli sauce. Spread one side of the slices of bread low fat spread then top one slice with the cheese mixture.
2. Arrange the sliced tomato and lettuce leaves on top, then the second slice of bread, spread-side down. Press down and slice diagonally in two. Serve straight away and garnish with salad leaves of your choice.
Notes to editors
Pilgrims Choice prides itself on being the choosiest cheese company, going to great lengths to find and hand select the best cheese for your enjoyment. To explore our range of cheeses on offer and read more about our latest recipes, visit www.pilgrimschoice.com or www.facebook.com/PilgrimsChoice
Pilgrims Choice Lighter Range:
Pilgrims Choice Lighter Mature - smooth and rich (Stockist: Most major supermarkets)
Size: 350g RRP: from £3.98
Pilgrims Choice Lighter Extra Mature - strong and punchy (Stockist: Most major supermarkets) Size: 350g RRP: from £4.49
For further information contact Mercieca Ltd:
E: email@example.com or T: +44 207 485 0100
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Mercieca Ltd in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Health, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.