Industry Partner Cisco will be hosting a hands-on collaborative event for young people and parents at its offices in Reading to showcase the skills and experience that UTC Reading has to offer.
East Reading, UK, 6th December 2012 - UTC Reading, a new University Technical College specialising in Computer Science and Engineering for 14 to 19 year olds, opening in September 2013, today announced its next Taster evening in conjunction with industry partner, Cisco. The event will be taking place at Cisco’s premises (300 Longwater Avenue, Green Park) on 12th December, between 5.30-7.30pm. Parents and children are invited to come and find out what UTC Reading has to offer, meet the Principal and Vice Principal Designates and interact with prestigious academic and industry partners including Microsoft, Network Rail, Peter Brett Associates and the University of Reading. Representatives from Reading College, part of The Oxford & Cherwell Valley College (the lead sponsors of UTC Reading), will also be present.
The aim of the event is to inform and inspire students through interactive sessions with all the academic and industry partners, giving a flavour of some of the activities and unique opportunities available to young people. The distinct differences between UTCs and traditional schools will be clearly articulated and students that are passionate about either discipline will be made aware of how they can capitalise on their passion and flourish in specialist areas. Joanne Harper, Principal Designate, UTC Reading from January 2013, comments:
“Our first taster event in November was very well attended and it was great to see the industry partners interacting with the young people and parents. Cisco has put together a fantastic agenda for this next taster evening which will give young people an opportunity to come and experience some of the practical and innovative projects that they can get involved in if they come to UTC Reading.”
Activities on the night designed specifically by Cisco include:
• Virtual receptionist - guests will be greeted at the door by someone on a Video call
• Telepresence with Cisco’s City Office for a virtual meeting with representatives from the Cisco Networking Academy. The objective being to explain what the Academy is and why it is of benefit to UTC Reading students
• A Cable Making Workshop – giving young people the chance to make their own Ethernet cable and keep it
• Hacker School – A hands on look at how you can inspect network traffic
• Virtual Shopping – A gesture controlled virtual shopping experience allowing young people to dress themselves virtually so they can see what clothes look like on
• Cisco Quiz – On the night young people can win a Mars Bar just by answering 10 questions about the Internet and the UTC
• Building Tours – An opportunity to see the rest of the building and the work environment of Cisco staff/engineers
Nigel Townley from Cisco comments: “We have put together a packed agenda that I think really highlights what these young people stand to experience if they decide to come along to UTC Reading in September 2013. It will be fun and informative at the same time and a great opportunity to really understand how industry partners are engaging with UTC Reading.”
Microsoft will also be at the event demonstrating programmes for young people interested in Computer Science and these include:
• Viewing and interacting with exclusive Windows 8 tablets with educational apps
• Demonstration and opportunity to use basic programming to make a digital camera
• Review of the capabilities of Office 365
• Selection of review and media kit available to test
• Opportunity to speak to apprentices and employees about the sector
Programmes designed specifically by Network Rail and Peter Brett Associates for Engineering enthusiasts include:
• Examples of how tracks and switches are made
• A Lego bridge challenge
• K-Nex and other building materials
• AutoCAD demonstrations
• Materials from the Institution of Civil Engineers
Joanne Harper along with Vice Principal Wayne Edwards will do a short talk to outline their vision for UTC Reading and they will both be on hand to answer any questions.
Other UTC Reading Taster Events:
• 23 January 2013 Taster event hosted at industry partner Peter Brett Associates
• 14 March 2013 Taster event hosted at industry partner Microsoft
• 25 April 2013 Taster event hosted at industry partner Network Rail
• 16 May 2013 Taster event hosted at academic partner Reading College
About UTC Reading
UTC Reading is a new University Technical College that will specialise in Computer Science and Engineering, taught alongside the national curriculum. UTC Reading opens its doors in September 2013 and will welcome girls and boys aged 14 to 19 within a 15 mile radius of Crescent Road, Reading RG1 5RQ.
The specialist curriculum proposed by UTC Reading will appeal to secondary school-aged pupils interested in Computer Science and/or Engineering, who are keen on pursuing and developing their talents in these areas.
If you are interested and want to find out more about UTC Reading, please email email@example.com or call the UTC Reading team on: 0118 955 4544. You can also visit our website www.utcreading.co.uk.
C8 Consulting Ltd
+44 1189 001134
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of C8 Consulting in the following categories: Education & Human Resources, Public Sector, Third Sector & Legal, Manufacturing, Engineering & Energy, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.