Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.

Brain injured people and their carers are crying out for clear signposting to support services that can help them manage the physical, mental and social challenges they face. A recent survey (1) conducted by the Brain Injury Group revealed that 83% of people found it ‘very difficult’ or ‘quite difficult’ to find information on specialist brain injury resources. A resounding 95% of people would welcome a single, online signposting resource to help them quickly identify support services for those living with brain injury.

Who was surveyed
In the survey, 63% of respondents were caring for someone with a brain injury and the remaining 37% had the brain injury themselves. The age range of respondents varied from under 18 to over 60, but 56% were aged 20-40. The single biggest cause of their brain injury was a road traffic accident with 58.3% citing this.

Main concerns
The greatest concern among respondents, aside from the trauma of the brain itself, was the impact on the family group with 53% stating this was their main concern. Finding relevant information was the second highest area of concern, closely followed by access to emotional support.

The vast majority of people seeking brain injury support services researched online (70.8%) or asked their healthcare professional/doctor (69.2%). However, their search for information wasn’t always successful with 83% finding it ‘difficult’ or ‘very difficult’ to find information and nearly all respondents welcoming the idea of a single online resource.

The BIG Directory now available online
In response to this research, combined with market knowledge, the Brain Injury Group has developed and launched The BIG Directory, an online services directory, to provide answers for people affected by brain injury. The listing is free to users who can browse by category for the help and support they need: it can be found at braininjurygroup.co.uk.

“We had long identified the need for a single source directory of services specifically to support people affected by brain injury and our research emphatically reinforced this,” says Sally Dunscombe, director of the Brain Injury Group. “Living with a brain injury is daunting and confusing for families and carers. Our aim is to provide people with an instant, free online signposting service that enables them to find specialist help with ease, saving time and worry.”

If you have been affected by brain injury, the braininjurygroup.co.uk provides comprehensive support services for brain injured individuals and their families.

For more information about The BIG Directory or the Brian Injury Group contact:
Katherine Selby, PR Workshop, 020 8 657 4422, Katherine@prworkshop.co.uk

(1) The anecdotal research was conducted by the Brain Injury Group on Survey Monkey between August and November 2012. All respondents were either brain injured or cared for someone with a brain injury.

This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of PR Workshop in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Health, Women's Interest & Beauty, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.