Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.
Carbon monoxide alarms alert you to CO

50 people die each year from CO poisoning and another 4,000 are treated in hospital

With Christmas fast approaching, the CO Angels are urging everyone to make sure their homes are safe from the potentially fatal carbon monoxide (CO). As the country prepares for the festive season, home maintenance and awareness of silent dangers such as carbon monoxide in the home, get forgotten. But this is something the CO Angels are eager to raise on everybody’s Christmas agenda.

Stacey Rodgers, Vikki Courtman and Melissa Matthews formed the awareness group CO Angels after each losing a loved one to carbon monoxide poisoning. After launching in Parliament in 2010, their aim is to ensure the message of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning reach as many people as possible.

Carbon monoxide poses a real threat, with recent stats from the Department of Health showing that 50 people die each year from CO poisoning and another 4,000 are treated in hospital.

This poisonous gas is the result of fuel burning appliances which are not fitted correctly, are badly repaired or maintained such as fires, boilers, chimneys, gas cookers and water heaters. Gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood can all produce carbon monoxide.

Vikki Courtman’s boyfriend Bob died from the silent killer after poor maintenance work to his chimney. She said: “Losing someone to carbon monoxide poisoning changes your whole world.

“The most frustrating thing is knowing that something could have been done to prevent Bob’s death. The installation of an audible carbon monoxide alarm would have signalled the dangerous levels of CO in his home and he would still be here today.”

Advice from the CO Angels this festive season:

1. Buy and install an audible carbon monoxide alarm (you can buy these from any DIY store from around £12 - £25).

2. Get your fuel burning appliances checked and maintained using a reputable engineer (use only Gas Safe Registered engineers for gas appliances and the National Association of Chimney Sweeps to search for a reputable chimney sweep)

Stacey Rodgers’ 10-year-old son Dominic died from carbon monoxide while sleeping in his bed. Stacey said: “That morning was the scariest thing I have been through; I didn’t know what had happened to Dominic. I was angry and blamed myself for his death.

“I didn’t know anything about carbon monoxide so I started to research it and within days realised this was something other people should know about.”

Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu. It is likely someone from carbon monoxide poisoning will experience any combination of the following:

• Headaches
• Dizziness
• Nausea
• Breathlessness
• Collapsing
• Loss of consciousness

Also be aware of:

• Symptoms improving when you leave home, but reoccur once back inside the property
• Symptoms worsening in the winter when fuel burning heaters are used more frequently
• Symptoms appearing or worsening when gas and other fuel burning appliances are in use
• More than one person in your household (including your pets) experiencing similar symptoms

If you experience any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical advice.

Melissa Matthews, whose brother died from carbon monoxide poisoning, said: “The one thing on all of our Christmas wish lists this year is that as many people as possible hear our message to protect themselves and their families against this silent killer.

“Sadly Stacey, Vikki and I know first hand how it feels to lose a loved one to carbon monoxide poisoning and because of this we are urging others, especially at this time of year, to remember to make sure their homes are safe from this silent killer.”

Nick Rutter, managing director of Sprue Safety Products, manufacturer of the FireAngel range of carbon monoxide alarms and supporters of the CO Angels’ awareness campaigns, added: “Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, so it is totally invisible to the human senses. Because the gas is so difficult to detect and the symptoms (such as headaches) so common to other complaints, many people can be poisoned without knowing it.

“With the cold winter weather upon us many will be firing up their heating systems and lighting fires to create a cosy Christmas atmosphere, but if boilers have not been serviced or chimneys and flues have been left unchecked, people can be putting themselves at risk of CO poisoning. Everyone needs to be aware of the dangers so they can stay safe.

“CO safety should be given the same attention as fire safety and we strongly support the CO Angels’ ’10 by 20’ campaign to get CO alarms installed in 10 million homes across the UK by 2020.”

For more information on the CO Angels visit www.co-angels.co.uk
For more about the national CO-Be Alarmed campaign visit: www.co-bealarmed.co.uk
For more information on Sprue’s complete range of carbon monoxide and smoke alarms, visit: www.sprue.com, or www.fireangel.co.uk

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors:

Sprue Safety Products

Sprue Safety Products specialises in designing, manufacturing and supplying products that save lives, with a comprehensive range of products that provide peace of mind and keep you safe.

Sprue Safety Products Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sprue Aegis plc. Sprue Aegis has recently won a prestigious Sunday Times Fastrack Award, which recognises the fastest growing companies in the UK.

About Sprue Aegis plc

Group overview

With its head office in Coventry, UK, Sprue is Europe’s leading home safety products supplier and manufactures one of the world’s smallest carbon monoxide sensors for use in carbon monoxide alarms. Sprue designs and sells smoke and carbon monoxide alarms including other safety related products throughout Europe under the FireAngel, First Alert, BRK and Dicon brands. Sprue enjoys a strong European market presence, a leading UK retail footprint, is the supplier of choice to the UK’s Fire and Rescue Services and continues to develop its market share in the UK’s trade sector. Sprue has an established network of independent distributors within Continental Europe providing access into these key growth markets through local partners.

Patented technology

Sprue has patented technology in Europe, the US and other selected territories and its range of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms is independently certified to the latest European standards. For further product information, please visit: www.fireangel.co.uk or www.firstalert.co.uk or www.brk.co.uk or www.sprue.com

Company ethos

We make products that save lives. It is a simple philosophy. Everything we do is focussed on providing market leading smoke and carbon monoxide alarms that achieve this objective.

We are serious about carbon monoxide and smoke detection and believe everyone should be properly protected with affordable and reliable home safety products from a company with brands you can trust.

We work with passion and seek to inspire those that work for us in the same way. We encourage our staff to “make a difference” to our business every day.

Date of issue: 13th December 2012
For further media information, or to arrange an interview, please contact Jane Duncan at Sprue Safety Products on: 02476 323232 or email: jduncan@sprue.com

This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Sprue Safety Products Ltd in the following categories: Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, Manufacturing, Engineering & Energy, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.