There are now less than three weeks left to have your say in our consultation on a potential new .uk domain name service. We would like to thank all those who have contributed so far, and outline the next steps.
We’ve had over 650 formal responses to date, as well as feedback from meetings, phone calls and emails.
There’s undoubtedly a wide range of opinions, particularly in the following areas:
- The principle of opening up the second level.
- Whether direct.uk should be treated as a new, distinct product within the .uk portfolio or as a transition or migration from existing SLDs.
- The fairest release mechanism.
- The impact on existing .co.uk, .org.uk or .me.uk registrants.
- How the package of security features proposed will contribute to our aims of improving trust and security.
- We are considering all ideas and suggestions that have been – and continue to - flow in.
- The consultation is a genuine process to gather the perspectives and thinking from a broad range of stakeholders in order to inform our decision-making.
What happens after the consultation?
After the consultation closes on 7th January, a summary of the consultation feedback received will be produced by the Secretariat and considered by the Board at their next meeting on 26th February. This will be also published on the Nominet website.
Once the Board has reviewed the feedback, they will consider the best way forward. They may take a view to go down one of several routes to an eventual product, including a direct.uk product with a different set of features, or a different release process. There is also the possibility that we might not go ahead with direct.uk at all.
Depending on the outcome of those assessments, we may look for further stakeholder views. Any Board decisions on this will be included in the official communiqué following the meeting.
If you are yet to provide feedback on the consultation we urge you to get involved. You can still view the paper here, fill in an online form, email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give us a call.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Brands2Life in the following categories: Business & Finance, Media & Marketing, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.