ProperMaid’s original flavours, handmade products and the good story behind them really interested us
Battenburg, bakes, sponges and slices from Yorkshire’s ProperMaid bakery have earned their stripes this week as they’ve been chosen as one of the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes’ (NAAFI) “best of British” foods to feed the forces.
Serving soldiers will be offered a much-missed sweet slice of home thanks to ProperMaid , in Huddersfield, when more than 12 of its delicious, ‘traditional cakes with a twist’ begin winging their way to troops across the world this month.
It was ProperMaid’s “original flavours” that caught the eye and palate of the NAAFI taste testers, and its selection – which includes ProperMaid’s Dandelion & Burdock Cake (inspired by Huddersfield’s most famous export) and Sticky Ginger & Fudge Cake based on the traditional Yorkshire Parkin – will certainly give squaddies a taste of ‘God’s Own County’.
NAAFI, the official trading organisation of HM Forces, provides retail and leisure services to the military with restaurants, bars and shops that offer a real British experience. ProperMaid’s cakes, which will grace the menu at NAAFI’s coffee shops, will initially be distributed in Germany and then to other overseas locations starting with the Falklands.
Nick Spencer, head of food and beverage at NAAFI, said: “We’re all about providing a taste of home and access to products that servicemen and women would not necessarily be able to purchase. ProperMaid’s original flavours, handmade products and the good story behind them really interested us.”
ProperMaid managing director Allison Whitmarsh said she was delighted with the deal. “We’re over the moon that our cakes have been chosen as a taste of home for the troops,” said Allison. “It’s wonderful to think that ‘our boys’ – and girls – working hard in other countries will be able to tuck into a good ol’ British brew and a bake!”
• Former dinner lady Allison Whitmarsh saw a gap in the market four years ago when she took advantage of a Business Mine grant and set up Proper Maid in Huddersfield, producing handmade, additive-free cakes, loafs and biscuits with a twist – many of them made with quirky ingredients such as vegetables, liquorice, Maltesers and homemade jam.
• In December, she got a slice of venture capital from BBC Dragon Deborah Meaden when she invested £50,000 in the business in return for a 25% stake during the Dragons’ Den Christmas Special.
• The full-list of ProperMaid cakes flying out to the armed forces include: Passion Fruit Cake, Mother’s Day Orange & Almond Battenberg, Fresh Ginger & Lemon, Dandelion & Burdock (a Great Taste Award winner), Cappuccino & Walnut, Liquorice Cake, Beetroot & White Chocolate, Courgette & Lime, Sticky Toffee Tray Bake Cake with Salted Caramel Drizzle, and Sticky Ginger & Fudge.
• ProperMaid is based at Heritage Mills, Lindley, Huddersfield, tel: 01484 443130, www.propermaid.co.uk
• For more on NAAFI log on to: www.naafi.co.uk
For further information contact:
Allison Whitmarsh, ProperMaid – Traditional Cakes with a Twist
Telephone: 01484 766068, M: 07799 293 244, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Absolutely Food PR & Marketing
T: 01347 810531 M: 07771 655756
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Absolutely Food PR in the following categories: Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, Food & Drink, Business & Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.