The benefits from automated processes with improved deployment of staff and skills mix can be seen across the Trust
CODICOTE, UK, 10 April, 2013 — Kronos Incorporated today announced that Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust has deployed a SMART workforce management solution in its operating theatres as part of the final phase of a Trust-wide roll-out. SMART e Rostering and time and attendance have been implemented across 3,500 managerial, clinical, and non-clinical staff, delivering significant costs savings and improved work/life balance across the Trust. An integrated workforce management framework links seamlessly with the Electronic Staff Records (ESR) and payroll systems.
• The SMART auto-rostering and time and attendance are now used to manage staff deployment in theatres, with improved allocation of shifts against contracted hours and absence management.
• Efficient management of staff shifts has resulted in better utilisation of in-house skills and is more than likely to assist in reducing the costs of using bank staff within theatres.
• Automated processes and monitoring of hours to meet European Working Time Directive enables sickness levels to be monitored.
• During the pilot phase in critical care, time spent producing off duty using automated rostering was achieved using only a third of the staff and time that manual off duty required, and the same benefits are achievable with theatres.
• e-Rostering supports flexible patterns required for theatre staffing and provides a fair and transparent system for staff.
• The accuracy of data has eliminated payroll errors and overpayments with tangible time and cost savings.
• Final rollout across the Trust includes maternity and estates staff.
• Brian Nicholson, Clinical Lead and Project Manager, Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust (GHNFT)
“The use of SMART’s workforce management solution in theatres is part of the final deployment of the system within the Trust. The benefits from automated processes with improved deployment of staff and skills mix can be seen across the Trust. With better management of our shift allocation we can also improve our patient care. Our fully auditable processes provide a fair and transparent way to enable us to better manage costs and working time legislation. We knew what we wanted to achieve to improve our delivery of services and SMART has been with us throughout the process.”
• Tristan Spencer, director, SMART, A Kronos Solution
“In today’s climate, Trusts are focusing on how to deliver services to provide the best patient care with optimum management of resources. The SMART workforce management solutions helps Gateshead manage and automate processes to enable effective deployment of staff with the right skill mixes required for front line services. It supports the adoption of new workforce management practices to achieve the Trust’s goals.”
• The National Health Service (NHS) is one of the largest employers in the world, and is the largest in Europe, with more than 1.3 million staff.
• Gateshead Health Foundation Trust was one of the first Foundation Trusts in the UK, established in 2005 and runs the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Dunston Hill Day Hospital, QE Metro Riverside and primary care services for a population of seven million people. It employs more than 3,000, and is the second-largest employer in Gateshead.
• SMART is a workforce management solution widely used by the UK’s NHS across England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. SMART enables NHS and other health organisations to meet their patient quality care objectives, including the Quality, Innovation, Productivity, and Prevention (QIPP) agenda in England, by optimising staff and ensuring that quality patient care is delivered as efficiently as possible. To learn more about the SMART solution, visit www.smart-rostering.co.uk.
• Kronos acquired SMART in April 2012.
• Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
• Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
• Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2013 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos is a registered trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SMART, A Kronos Solution
+44 (0)1438 822229
+44 (0) 1491 639500
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of PR Artistry Limited in the following categories: Health, Public Sector, Third Sector & Legal, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.