Secret money saving tips from cost-savvy travellers
Going on holiday can be expensive but by being cash clever and savings savvy, it is possible to reduce costs without compromising on quality or fun, according to users of the Owners Direct website.
Travellers and home owners with UK holiday rentals specialists Owners Direct, have come together to give their insider money saving tips to help others find great value holidays that won’t break the bank. The site has over 50,000 properties to choose from and by booking self catering accommodation, holiday makers can still find the location, facilities and flexibility they want but for a lot less than the price of a hotel.
To help holidaymakers save money further, Owners Direct asked regular travellers and holiday homeowners to come up with their best money saving tips to help others save those all-important pounds and euros.
Secret money saving tips from cost-savvy travellers who use the website range from how to save money on food and drink, making best use of free samples available for holiday essentials, getting used to living like a local as well as finding the best deals on flights and car hire.
So here are their top money-saving tips for holidays in 2013:
• Shopping for fruit and veg in local markets is fun and cheap too. A good Owners Direct owner will provide a list of local market days in the property. It’s also a good opportunity to practice your Spanish and sometimes you can get even better bargains just by speaking the lingo! (Gillian Chappell – Owners Direct Holiday Home Owner, Spain )
• “I always use free samples for essentials like shampoo and toiletries as they take up less suitcase space and cost nothing” (Jen, traveller)
• “Go for the ‘Menu du Jour’ which is normally a three course lunch including local wine – good value and excellent food!” (Louise, Hayward, Owners Direct holiday home owner, France )
• “Plan ahead as far as you can when booking car parking, car hire, flights/ferry transfer and of course accommodation as you can save hundreds, I do” (Dave, traveller)
• “Take plenty of snacks and nibbles for the plane, especially if you have children to save on expensive snack prices at the airport,” (Nicki, traveller)
• “Take a prepaid credit card with you on holiday, that way you know how much you can budget and your personal details are safe,” (Alan, traveller)
• “Always buy toiletries and sun lotions before you go as these things are double the price in most EU countries,” (Caroline Ward, Owners Direct holiday home owner, Portugal )
• “Take the mother in law on holiday with you to save on expensive childcare costs and babysitters.” (Steve, traveller)
• “Buy two for one sun cream and after sun and use club card points for travel essentials before you go,” (Julie, traveller)
• Don’t skimp on accommodation but then eat at home and drink local wine to save money,” (Karen Pugh, Owners Direct holiday home owner Portugal )
• “Don’t waste money on expensive guide books, instead use websites, local tourist offices and tap into the local knowledge of holiday home owners” (Kate, traveller)
• “Live like a local and shop where they shop and also don’t use taxis, take the bus and train instead.” (Tanya, traveller)
• “Check your mobile phone tariff and roaming charges so you aren’t faced with a massive bill. Always turn off your roaming abroad as well.” (Clare, traveller)
• “I always book flights when they are at their cheapest even though I don't yet have accommodation. Then nearer the time I book the villa or apartment as sometimes there are great special offers on Owners Direct (Diane, traveller)
Angela Southall, Marketing Manager of Owners Direct said, “Booking accommodation direct with the owner on a site such as Owners Direct means you are likely to have made a saving compared with the cost of a hotel. To make your budget stretch further try renting a property that isn’t on the beach as these come at a premium price, don’t travel in school holidays unless you have to, go away with family and friends and split the bills and keep an eye on last minute offers from our owners. These might seem obvious but they do mean big savings and more cash for holiday treats such as ice creams and cocktails”.
Current money saving accommodation at Owners Direct includes:
Villa in Odelouca in the Algarve has three bedrooms and sleeps six. The private pool terrace has amazing views of the valley and mountains and this is the ideal location for relaxing and enjoying the Portuguese way of life. If you book now you will save 15% off remaining dates in July, August & September.
These great villas on the Greek island of Lefkas have a private pool, spectacular 180 degree views and are superbly located to the windsurfing beach of Vassiliki, local village and beautiful countryside. There is a 25% discount on bookings for May, June, September and October and 15% off July & August holidays.
This beautiful, four bedroom farmhouse in St Martin de Fressengeas, Dordogne, France sleeps up to 10 people. It has a lovely private pool set in an acre of landscaped gardens. Set in a small peaceful hamlet with views over open countryside, this is a great family holiday location. Prices start from £450 a week and there is a 20% discount on holidays booked in May, June and September.
Notes to Editors:
Owners Direct specialises in advertising privately owned holiday accommodation direct from the owner. We have advertised holiday properties since 1997 and on our web site you will find over 50,000 villas, apartments, chalets, farmhouses and cottages. From Fincas in Spain to traditional Riads in Morocco and beach villas in Koh Samui, Owners Direct offer all types of holiday accommodation in a diverse selection of countries throughout the world.
In August 2007 Owners Direct became part of HomeAway Inc. which owns some of the largest rentals websites in the US and Europe. We continue to operate as a separate brand from our offices in London.
For more information, images or quotes please contact Eveleen at Seriously PR –01491 822647/07815 002276 or email@example.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Owners Direct in the following categories: Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.