real-time consumer engagement on social channels such as Tumblr provides brands with unprecedented insight into consumer attitudes and behavior
Leading social data platform expands publisher network
SAN FRANCISCO and LONDON – Sept. 16, 2013 - DataSift, the platform that powers the social economy, continues to advance the way enterprises capture the business value of social data with the addition of Tumblr as a data source. Tumblr data will be available beginning today to DataSift subscribers, providing not only real-time data from the Tumblr fire hose, but also Tumblr historic data for the first time. This will enable organizations to run sentiment analysis on the more than 5.5 billion global Tumblr interactions that happen each month.
The explosion of real-time consumer engagement on social channels such as Tumblr provides brands with unprecedented insight into consumer attitudes and behavior, allowing for tighter relationships with consumers. DataSift’s platform provides sophisticated tools that allow organizations access to data that captures the complete commentary on their brand in order to build applications or make data available for analysis. DataSift curates data from a wide array of social media sources ranging from Facebook and Twitter, to Amazon reviews and YouTube videos, as well as enterprise data to determine consumer sentiment, engagement and loyalty.
Comments on the News
“Tumblr is one of the fastest growing and more highly engaged social networks. Brands and agencies need a better solution to capture and capitalize on the platform’s tremendous stickiness, and the DataSift platform is the only one to make that possible today,” said Rob Bailey, CEO of DataSift. “By providing access to real time and historic Tumblr data, the DataSift platform further expands brands’ and agencies’ ability to distill actionable insight from their engagements with consumers.”
“Brands have turned to Tumblr for new ways to connect with highly engaged users and engage in brand storytelling,” said Derek Gottfrid, VP of Product, Tumblr. “Through this partnership with DataSift, we’re delighted to enable these brands and agencies to unlock new insights about the audience that is consuming and sharing their creative content.”
“Consumers are looking to engage with brands that provide fresh, compelling and dynamic visual experiences on the social web,” commented Aaron Strout, Managing Director, W2O Group. “Access to deeper analytics on Tumblr with DataSift represents a huge opportunity for brands to better understand audiences, refine campaigns and bring their unique stories to life.”
“Brands want to better segment, understand and engage with their customers around the world,” said Marketwired CEO Jim Delaney. “The addition of real time and historic Tumblr data combined with the power of the DataSift platform further unlocks the customer voice with an entire new level of social insights for our brands and agencies to leverage.”
“We're looking at Tumblr to see how content about our clients is being shared, whether there's anything damaging to their reputation or whether there’s insight we can gain about their audience,” said Steve King, CEO of Black Swan. “Our data science team models social data to understand customer behavior, and having access to current and past Tumblr data will be a very important part of our model as we build out the predictive aspect.”
Trends and Brands on Tumblr
An analysis of the past two weeks of Tumblr data using the DataSift platform found strong global engagement across multiple industry segments including retail, CPG, fashion and automotive. According to Kantar Media, retail was the largest sector in US advertising spend in 2012, accounting for more than $16Bn, making Tumblr a highly desirable audience. A deeper look at overall trend topics as well as brands listed on brands.tumblr.com uncovered a variety of interesting findings:
• Fashion and retail related topics trended the highest over the past few weeks, likely due to Fashion Week in New York and London. The trend data shows an extreme diversity of topics being discussed - from shoes to travel to the topic of war - suggesting tremendous opportunity for almost any brand that wants to build an audience.
• Looking across all Tumblr posts in the automotive category using the DataSift platform and topic detection, the top three brands driving the most engagement across Tumblr were Ford, BMW and Jeep.
• Sentiment analysis reveals that the largest positive trending topics on Tumblr are related to fashion, art, food, beverages and marriage.
• Tumblrs showed their displeasure on a variety of topics, displaying negative sentiment related to topics involving food, crime, war, art, health and sports.
• While there is a tremendous amount of written content across Tumblr, content containing visuals or .GIF files is much more likely to be reblogged than standard written content.
• Looking at the Tumblr activity for BMW, Ford and other leading auto brands, an analysis of engagement and reblog activity shows the most prominent creators of content are not the official brand sites, but individual Tumblrs. The heavy engagement and sharing around the automotive category in content analysis on brand engagement suggests a huge potential promotional, advertising, and engagement for brands to build out their presence on Tumblr.
• Red Bull is a great example of a small sub-set of brands which score higher in engagement because they actively reblog other brands’ and consumers’ content vs. broadcasting just their own content. This suggests the opportunity for brands to expand their reach and build deeper relationships by using Tumblr native behaviors.
DataSift and Tumblr @SocialDataWeek
Derek Gottfrid, VP of Product, is scheduled to speak at Social Data Week in New York City on Sept. 20 at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. His session, “Inside Engagement: How Content Spreads,” will take place at 12:45 p.m. EDT. For more information and to register, please go to www.socialdataweek.com.
To get more information on Tumblr data and the enrichments available on the DataSift platform, please join Tumblr and DataSift for a webinar on Oct. 17. For more information about today’s announcements, or to register for the free Tumblr webinar, please visit www.datasift.com.
DataSift Inc. is the platform the powers the social economy, enabling companies to aggregate, filter and extract insights from the billions of public social conversations on Twitter, leading social networks and millions of other sources. DataSift provides access to both real-time and historical social data to uncover insights and trends that relate to brands, businesses, financial markets, news and public opinion. Key investors include Scale Venture Partners, Upfront Ventures and IA Ventures. DataSift has offices in San Francisco, New York City and Reading, U.K. For more information, visit www.datasift.com and follow us on Twitter @datasift.
Paul Maher/Keso Kendall
020 8237 1103/1104
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of DataSift in the following categories: Business & Finance, Media & Marketing, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.