Consumers encouraged to take care of their personal information in the fight against ID fraud
London, October 2013 – Following news that the National Crime Agency’s (NCA)* cyber-crime unit has scored its first success in the ongoing war on identity theft, leading ID fraud expert, Equifax, is urging customers to still remain vigilant to protect themselves from ever-more sophisticated scams.
Over the last few days the NCA has been successful in a London-based fraudster being given a long-term jail sentence for offences including conspiracy to defraud UK banks, financial institutions and customers for over £750,000.
“Following the first of what we hope is a long line of successful online fraud prevention cases, we are still urging individuals to be extra cautious with their personal information and take care when sharing data. The level of sophistication behind this particular scam highlights just how much of a threat fraudsters can be.
“We urge consumers to monitor their credit file on a regular basis so that if they do become a victim, quick action can be taken. Checking credit and bank account statements regularly should also be something consumers should be encouraged to do so that they can quickly spot unauthorised transactions. Plus it’s vital to be vigilant about information provided online.”
Equifax encourages individuals to get a copy of their credit report in order to identify any unauthorised activity quickly. The Equifax credit report monitoring service will also provide alerts about any unauthorised applications for credit.
The Equifax Credit Report is accessible for 30 days free simply by logging onto www.equifax.co.uk. If customers do not cancel before the end of the 30 Day Free Trial, the service will continue at £9.95 per month, giving them unlimited online access to their credit information and weekly alerts on any changes to their credit file. It also includes an online dispute facility to help them correct any errors on their credit file simply and quickly.
EQUIFAX TIPS TO PROTECT AGAINST ID FRAUD
- Regularly apply for a copy of your credit file to look out for any unauthorised activity
- Always check bank statements and credit card statements carefully against receipts
- When using online banking, or making financial transactions, ensure people can’t view your details
- Log out of websites, rather than just closing the window
- No matter how much you trust your friends, work colleagues, NEVER give out your PIN or online passwords
- Never store your PIN on mobile phones, blackberrys, tablets or laptops
- Don’t include common verification information such as your date of birth or your mother’s maiden name on social networking sites
- Set up privacy on your social media profile so that only close friends can view your information
- Make sure your computer has the latest virus protection that ideally updates hourly
- If you think you have become a victim of fraud, alert your bank and credit card providers immediately.
- You can call Action Fraud or your financial services provider(s) for advice and support on 0300 123 2040 or visit their website www.actionfraud.org.uk
*National Crime Agency http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/
For further press information, please contact: Clare Watson, Nakhalar Sterling, Cecile Stearn, Ed McCambridge or Wendy Harrison at HSL on 020 8977 9132 / Fax: 020 8977 5200 or Email: email@example.com
Equifax is a global leader in consumer, commercial and workforce information solutions, providing businesses of all sizes and consumers with information they can trust. We organize and assimilate data on more than 500 million consumers and 81 million businesses worldwide, and use advanced analytics and proprietary technology to create and deliver customized insights that enrich both the performance of businesses and the lives of consumers.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Equifax operates or has investments in 18 countries and is a member of Standard & Poor’s (S&P) 500® Index. Its common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol EFX. For more information, please visit www.equifax.com.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Harrison Sadler in the following categories: Personal Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.