“Pigs in blankets have become synonymous with Christmas but in our opinion they never receive the recognition they deserve!”
“CELEBRATE THE PIGGY IN THE MIDDLE THIS CHRISTMAS,” SAYS FARMISON & CO AS IT LAUNCHES THE UK’S FIRST EVER NATIONAL PIGS IN BLANKET’S DAY!
Farmison is putting pigs on a pedestal this Christmas with the launch of its National Pigs in Blankets Day.
Farmison & Co estimate that over 100 million of this essential seasonal staple are eaten on Christmas day alone. Pigs in blankets have their own national food day in the U.S, but until now have been overlooked in the UK despite their huge popularity at the festive feast.
But on Thursday 12th December Farmison & Co will be asking us all to be pig headed for the day with the launch of the UK’s first ever National Pigs in Blankets Day. Farmison & Co want to see these bacon wrapped beauties celebrated as the moreish morsels they really are.
“Pigs in blankets have become synonymous with Christmas but in our opinion they never receive the recognition they deserve!” says John Pallagi, Managing Director and co-founder of Farmison & Co. “We’re absolutely mad about these bite-sized boars and along with our development chef Jeff Baker, we’re proving that with the right British pork and bacon and a little know how, they can be as much the centre-piece of the Christmas meal as the turkey and the stuffing. So pig out, log on and find out more about National Pigs in Blankets Day!”
Jeff Baker who previously held a Michelin star for over 10 years, has created an exclusive batch of pigs in blankets, made with fresh sage, crushed chestnuts and plump apricots. To celebrate the ‘pig’ day Farmison & Co will be running a competition offering 50 lucky people a chance to win a free box of his exclusive tasty porkers.
Check out the Farmison & Co Facebook page to find out how to prepare the pigs and freeze them ahead of the big day – as well as discovering 10 tasty twists on the traditional porky pairing.
Pigs in Blankets Facts and Stats
• Farmison & Co estimate that over 128 million pigs in blankets are eaten on Christmas Day alone.
• Pigs in blankets are thought to have originated from Czechoslovakia or Germany but first appeared in print in the Cooking for Kids cookbook, published by U.S food firm Betty Crocker in 1957.
• Pigs in blankets are known as ‘Wesley Dogs’ in the US; ‘Würstchen im Schlafrock’ (sausage in a dressing gown) in Germany, where they are wrapped in pancake; ‘Moshe Ba'Teiva’ (Moses in the ark) in Israel; ‘kilted sausages’ in Scotland; and in Mexico, they are wrapped in tortilla and deep-fried.
• In the US, where National Pigs in Blankets Day is held every year on April 24, pigs in blankets are more like gourmet hot dogs and are commonly wrapped in pastry (rather like small sausage rolls), served with a dipping sauce.
Jeff Baker’s Pigs in Blankets 10 ways!
Before baking your bacon-wrapped sausages, dip them in one of the following:
1. 1tbsp honey mixed with 1tbsp wholegrain mustard;
2. 1tbsp sticky onion relish or marmalade muddled with a drop of soy sauce;
3. 1tbsp maple syrup and 1tbsp Dijon mustard;
4. 1tbsp mango chutney and 1tsp sesame or poppy seeds.
Or, add tasty extras underneath the bacon wrap before cooking, such as:
5. Crushed chestnuts
7. Sage leaves
9. Rosemary sprigs
10. Paprika or cayenne pepper (if you want a kick!)
Find out more at: www.farmison.com
• Premium online store Farmison & Co was set up by self-titled lifestyle foodies John Pallagi and Lee Simmonds with a genuine determination to make it easier for shoppers to browse and buy great produce from small producers, previously only available to restaurateurs.
• Having begun his career in a professional kitchen in 1983, Jeff Baker has worked alongside some of the world’s top chefs and cooked for royalty and heads of state, in a variety of kitchens all over the world. He was recognised for his talents in 1995 with a Michelin Star at Pool Court, a first for the city of Leeds. At the time Jeff was the youngest ever chef in Yorkshire - at 26 years of age - to receive the prestigious award.
• Jeff Baker is available for interview and pigs in blanket demonstrations.
• Farmison & Co are the official supplier of Saturday Kitchen Recipe boxes
• Farmison & Co support farmers, small producers and British rare and native breed meats
For further information or images please contact:
Absolutely Food PR & Marketing
T: 01347 810531
Absolutely Food PR and Marketing
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Absolutely Food PR in the following categories: Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.