London, UK, 16th December 2013 – New research released today by hosted desktop service provider WeWorkEverywhere, provides an illuminating snapshot of attitudes on cloud technology and what SME businesses need from their IT systems in order to be productive, efficient and competitive. Offering a compelling view of the state of IT systems in SME businesses today, the results reveal in particular the importance of mobility, security, flexibility and reliability in today’s modern businesses.
Security tops the list of SME concerns
• 67% of those surveyed stated that security and data protection was their top concern when it comes to IT related issues. Security ranked much higher than concerns around upgrades and on-going maintenance costs (32%)
• 40% of those surveyed were concerned about limited budgets
• 34% of respondents were concerned about the ability to access files and documents if working remotely
Lack of system flexibility irritates users and hinders business productivity
• Less than a quarter (24%) of survey respondents were satisfied with their current IT systems
• 22% are suffering from a lack of productivity when working remotely, unable to access documents and applications from local servers
• 25% claimed they were having to cope with out-dated technology
• 26% felt that different interfaces with different devices was particularly irritating
SMEs want robust IT systems
• 36% of respondents rated reliability and confidence in performance most important when it comes to their IT systems
• The ability to work seamlessly from multiple locations was also considered of top importance (21%)
SMEs are flocking to the cloud but security remains a top concern
• Well over half (59%) of SMEs are already using some kind of cloud based system
• The majority of SMEs are using cloud for email (33%) and data storage/back-up (33%). Other cloud systems being used were accounting and billing (15%), HR (14%) and CRM systems (14%)
• Even though cloud has moved into the mainstream, over 60% of those surveyed still felt that security was a major concern
• 42% were also concerned about someone else controlling their data
• 28% highlighted hidden costs as a key concern, indicating that many SMEs are wary of rising costs of cloud
SMEs are working remotely – and in some unusual places
• 37% are working remotely from hotels, 29% from airport lounges or airplanes, 27% are working in cafés or coffee shops and 24% on public transport
• 9% admitted to working in the bathroom, 6% at the cinema or theatre, and 6% said they worked at the gym
• Other more unusual places cited were the beach, the pub, the football stadium and at sea using a satellite-based system to connect to the office
• Just 13% of respondents said that they had never worked remotely
Richard Reggel, Head of Cloud Services, WeWorkEverywhere comments: “Demand is growing for reliable, scalable and flexible IT systems that can support the rapidly changing needs of today’s SME businesses. For SMEs both cloud technology and enabling remote working are key focus areas as we move into 2014. In an always-on, mobile world the need to work from anywhere, using any device, is critical. Clearly however, security remains a top concern for SMEs – both in managing their own systems and in using cloud-based technology. And, with on-going concerns over limited budgets, managing cost and predictable pricing will also be key priorities for SMEs across all key technology areas.”
For more information about WeWorkEverywhere please visit www.weworkeverywhere.com
The research for WeWorkEverywhere was carried out between 22nd November 2013 and 29th November 2013. Sample size was 250 people who work in SMEs (1-250 employees) who have IT decision making responsibility.
WeWorkEverywhere is a hosted desktop provider and addresses the growing demand for scalable flexible IT systems within small and medium sized businesses. It is part of Northdoor’s portfolio of services and customers can be assured of its expertise, stability, reliability and heritage. It can draw upon over 20 years’ experience, as Northdoor is a trusted IT consultancy and solutions provider with heritage that spans back to 1989, offering a wealth of expertise. Northdoor has delivered tangible businesses benefits to more than 200 companies with solutions that precisely match their needs.
Lesley Booth / Wesley Hutchins
Lesley@c8consulting.co.uk / email@example.com
0118 900 1136 / 0118 900 1133
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of C8 Consulting in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.