Millions of people are shelving or significantly delaying key life decisions due to fears for their financial futures, according to research from new direct-to-consumer investment platform SCM Direct (www.scmdirect.com).
The ‘Generation Pause’ report reveals a generation of 25-54 year olds delaying marriage, house buying and even children due to a lack of savings and investments.
• Matters of the heart on ice: A fifth (22%) of 25-34 year olds are postponing marriage plans for over two years
• Homes on hold: A quarter (23%) of 35-44 year olds believe they’ll never afford a house
• Children - 1 in 7 (13%) are delaying plans for having children by 5 years+; with 1 in 12 (8%) never envisage affording to have children
• Reliance on inheritance: a third of Generation Pause is so lacking in confidence in their own ability to fund their futures that a third (29%) admit to relying on inheritance to help them achieve key financial and life goals.
• Retirement – a grey area: A quarter (23%) of ‘Generation Pause’ have resigned themselves to postponing retirement for 10 years or more, while 1 in 7 (13%) believe they’ll never afford to retire
Generation Pause’s lack of confidence contrasts starkly with the confidence of previous generations, with over a third (35%) of 65+ year olds confident they will achieve their dreams and ambitions – double the number of 25-54 year olds.
The research indicates that lack of confidence in meeting future ambitions is fostering a ‘live for the moment’ mentality, with Generation Pause setting aside significantly more on ‘in the moment’ luxuries than on savings or investing.
“We have to encourage and educate people into seeing the imperative of looking after their financial futures as there is no money in the public purse to look after the aging population. Our aim is for SCM Direct (www.scmdirect.com)to change the way the UK saves – our ambition is that simple and that bold”, comments SCM Direct Founder Gina Miller.
"The existence of an entire generation of people with life plans on hold is extremely worrying, and demonstrates just how urgently we need to address the poor savings and investment culture.
“We believe the financial services sector needs to wake up to this crisis and offer UK consumers innovative products and services that can deliver better outcomes for their savings pots.”
The ‘Generation Pause’ report has been released as www.scmdirect.com, and two other innovative new online lifestyle orientated investment websites – www.MoneyShe.com and www.SCM50.com are launched by industry innovators and transparency champions Gina and Alan Miller of the www.trueandfaircampaign.com.
These three websites aim to break through the current investment malaise and engage British consumers with simpler language, more educational content, and fair, understandable 100% transparent fees. In addition the sites offer:
- Three low cost, highly diversified core portfolios from SCM with an impressive 5 year track record
- The SCM Simulator – the only tool that allows consumers to see the true likely charges of an investments in £ and %; as well as the ability to compare costs with other providers
- Low-cost access to high-end investment management with a pledge that a significant % of profits will be profit for purpose – going to small dynamic community charities.
For more information please contact the SCM Direct press office (Andrew Adie) on: 0207 680 6550 / SCM@newgatepr.com
Notes to Editors
The SCM ‘Generation Pause’ research was carried out by Research Plus between 14-20 August 2014. 3045 UK adults 18+ were surveyed.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Newgate Communications in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Education & Human Resources, Media & Marketing, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.