Following hot on the heels of like-minded creative concepts Punchdrunk and Secret Cinema, The Dowsing Sound Collective - the immersive sound collective that takes both first time and experienced singers, mixes them with pro & semi pro musicians, and gigs them all in serious music venues with full sound, light & staging production - launches in London in November.
Described by the press as a “harmonic phenomenon bursting onto the scenes like a firecracker”, The DSC is purposefully eclectic. Their aim is to find brilliant tracks, by brilliant bands (both established and new talent) and then to get under the skin of the tracks using up to sixty singers and a band of up to ten instrumentalists. They’ve attracted some heavy weight support in the music industry in the form of Bobby Aitken, legendary sound designer - as well as collaborated with bands and artists including Basement Jaxx, Boo Hewerdine and Megson.
According to founder Andrea Cockerton “it’s visceral, challenging, and utterly euphoric. People join us because they’re as nuts as we are about brilliant music, and because our gigs are absolutely gigs. The adrenalin is electric, the audiences tell us they love it, men actually join because the set lists don’t put them off, and finally we donate a proportion of gig profits to a music foundation that we launched last year, so literally every gig changes the world for someone, somewhere.”
Bands covered by The DSC include The National, Asgeir, The Wilderness of Manitoba, Rufus Wainwright, Ane Brun, Bruce Cockburn, Sigur Ros, Basement Jaxx, Supermen Lovers, The Divine Comedy, The Leisure Society, Dry The River, The Wailin’ Jennys, The Haggis Horns, King Charles, Jamiroquai, Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire & Vampire Weekend.
Rehearsals begin on 12th November in both Hammersmith & Camden, with the Union Chapel and Clapham Grand both pencilled in for March gigs. A third DSC will open in South London in February 2015.
Places are limited and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Both first time and experienced singers are welcome. There’s no audition for singers, but there is for band members. To find out more, including rehearsal venues, rehearsal costs & potential gig dates, go to [The Dowsing Sound Collective¦http://www.thedowsingsoundcollective.com/music-nuts].
• The Dowsing Sound Collective is a genre-bending musical concept founded in Cambridge in 2010 in Cambridge and launching across London (and then the rest of the UK) in late 2014/2015.
• The DSC creates world class, complex arrangements of brilliant tracks (including collaborations with global bands such as Basement Jaxx, folk legends such as Boo Hewerdine and Dirty Freud - the ‘High-Wizard of Electro Dub), teaches them to large-scale groups of both experienced and first time singers, adds semi-pro and professional instrumentalists, and then gigs them all in professionally-produced events in premier music venues.
• We’re obsessive about great music… both known and unknown. Our set-lists are carefully curated - and often the result of months of music hunting - and because of this we have a massive proportion of men singing with us (c.40%).
• Artists covered include Rufus Wainwright, Muse, Ane Brun, John Hopkins and King Creosote, Goldfrapp, The National, Sigur Ros, The Magnetic Fields, Bruce Cockburn, Massive Attack, Asgeir, Avicii, Fiddler’s Bid, Little Axe, The Gotan Project, and Vampire Weekend. Classical composers include Carl Orff, Heinrich Isaac, Anonymous IV and a world-premier of a setting of a poem by Wendell Berry.
• The Camden DSC will be led by talented MD Sam Sommerfeld, and the Hammersmith DSC by the equally talented Becky Chalmers. Both have extensive track records in creating brilliant music and are seriously inspirational when leading people out of their comfort zone.
• We’re a true musical collective – our band draws on a vast range of instruments and differs for each and every gig… so alongside the traditional back line you could find an Eigenharp, vibraphone, bagpipes, brass line, harmonica, Irish whistle, timpani, string quartet or Cathedral organ… or a mix of all of the above.
• Dowsing was founded by musician and entrepreneur Andrea Cockerton - one-time choral scholar at Trinity College Cambridge, classically trained pianist, intermittent DJ and on-going pitch consultant.
• Recruitment for singers is starting now, there’s no audition but people do need to be able to sing in tune and hold a line. See www.thedowsingsoundcollective.com/music-nuts for more information.
• Auditions for band members will be held on Sunday November 2nd in central London. For more information see: [The Dowsing Sound Collective¦http://www.thedowsingsoundcollective.com/music-nuts].
• Footage: please see www.thedowsingsoundcollective.com/clips-footage
Media enquiries - Jules Abensour on 07854 315474 / email@example.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of The Dowsing Sound Collective in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Leisure & Hobbies, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.