Braun and leading paediatrician Dr. Ranj share their top tips for surviving the cold and flu season this winter
With the cold and flu season fast approaching, Braun has teamed up with leading paediatrician Dr. Ranj to advise parents on what extra measures they can take to limit the spread of common colds and flu amongst their family members this winter.
“There are precautions you can take to try and reduce the risk of your child suffering from cold or flu,” says Dr. Ranj. “Washing their hands is one of the best ways for you to limit your child’s exposure to cold and flu germs. Soap and water is as effective as any antibacterial agent out there”.
Dr Ranj adds: “General health is also important to remaining fit and well through the cold and flu season. Eating a healthy diet, with plenty of naturally-present vitamins, fresh fruit and vegetables well help bolster a child’s immune system. Likewise, rest and getting enough sleep - children require between 9 to 14 hours sleep depending on their age - is essential as it helps a child’s immune system to fight infections.
“Preparation can also help, saving you time and worry if your child becomes sick. Stocking your medicine cabinet with cold and flu medication, such as pain relievers or decongestants means you can be prepared to relieve symptoms when a virus strikes. Also, make sure you have a reliable, accurate thermometer to hand. Being able to monitor and accurately interpret your child’s temperature can help you better understand your child’s fever and making sure the right treatment is administered.
“Braun, which is the number one trusted thermometer brand amongst doctors , has recently launched two new thermometers, each of which contains innovative new technology that will make a significant difference in managing a child’s fever.”
The ThermoScan® 7 ear thermometer with Age Precision®, is the first thermometer that allows parents to set the age of their child (0-3 months, 3-36 months and 36 months to adult) while a colour coded display (green for normal, yellow for elevated, red for high temperature) helps them to interpret the reading quickly and reliably. Many parents are unaware that the definition of fever changes with age - what is acceptable in a four year old can be classed as a high fever in a new born.
The Braun ThermoScan® 7 also includes other great features such as the pre-warmed tip, which ensures the reading is accurate by not cooling the inside of the ear where the temperature is taken. It also includes the ExacTemp® guidance system which uses a light and a beep to let the user know that it is in the correct position.
The second thermometer, the No touch + forehead thermometer (NTF3000), offers two modes - ‘no touch’ and ‘touch’ – ‘No touch’ allows parents to take a temperature reading by holding the unit up to 5 cm away from the forehead, which is great for when a poorly child is asleep or to avoid cross-contamination between family members. Braun has added the second ‘touch’ mode so that parents can use the thermometer to take their own temperature reading. With superior accuracy, the Braun No touch + forehead features an innovative optical system which captures twice as much radiated heat than traditional forehead thermometers, giving precise readings every time in both ‘No touch’ and ‘touch’ modes.
While preventative measures can decrease the risk of catching a cold or the flu, research has shown that most children will suffer from eight to ten colds a year . While fever is a very common symptom amongst children, it can be a cause for concern. For that reason, Dr. Ranj has offered his top tips on how to manage a child’s fever when it strikes.
1) Make sure you know how to check temperature accurately and get your child used to it too. Making it into a fun game can make the process easier, especially if they’re not feeling well. It is also a good idea to know your child’s temperature when they are well so that you can interpret a temperature reading more accurately. Likewise, if your child gets upset when having their temperature checked, think about using a ‘no-touch’ thermometer.
2) Babies will often feed more when they are hot, both for comfort and to stay hydrated. You may find that they take less feed, but more often.
3) For children that have been weaned, offer them cool drinks or ice-lollies when they are bothered by fever. This is a great way to help them feel more comfortable.
4) Babies primarily lose heat through their head so when they are hot make sure their head is uncovered.
5) Older children will lose heat through sweating and so ensure they have regular drinks when they have a fever, to keep them hydrated.
6) Make sure that the room your child is in is a normal temperature (around 18 degrees centigrade), so turn down the heating or open some windows. However, it shouldn’t be so cold that it is uncomfortable.
7) Do not use tepid sponging to cool your child down. This isn’t very effective and may actually be counter-productive.
8) There are medicines that can help to reduce your child’s temperature, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen. Make sure you always follow the dosage instructions, or check with a healthcare professional if you are unsure.
9) Know when to seek further help. You should keep a close eye on your child when the thermometer reads ‘elevated’ (yellow), and seek medical advice if it reads ‘high’ (red), or if they have any other worrying signs (such as a rash, floppiness, breathing difficulties, fits or signs of dehydration).
10) Any child with a fever that lasts more than 5 days should be checked by a healthcare professional.
ThermoScan® 7 ear thermometer with Age Precision® (IRT6520) is priced at £49.99 and is available from Boots.
No touch + forehead thermometer (NTF3000) is priced at £52.99 and is available from Asda, Boots and all good baby specialist retailers.
Notes to editors:
Braun is part of Procter & Gamble’s global portfolio of leading brands. Established in 1921 in Germany, it manufactures a wide variety of products that marry technical innovation, reliable quality and distinctive design, ranging from electric shavers, beauty products to household appliances. Braun products enjoy worldwide distribution.
These products are manufactured by Kaz Europe Sàrl under license to the 'Braun' trademark. “Braun” is a registered trademark of Braun GmbH, Kronberg, Germany. ©2014, Kaz Europe Sàrl.
For further press information, images or samples please contact:
Francesca at The Lenny Agency
T: 01484 767545
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of The Lenny Agency in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Health, Medical & Pharmaceutical, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.