USE YOUR HEAD NOT YOUR HEART WHEN BUYING A USED CAR
THIS ST VALENTINE’S DAY
HPI Warns of the Danger of ‘Love At First Sight’
It’s easy for car buyers to be blinded by love when they spot the car of their dreams but HPI, the provider of the vehicle history check www.hpicheck.com, is urging them to make sure they think carefully and do their research properly.
To help car buyers find the perfect match, HPI has created a checklist that can be carried out in order to ensure that they aren’t lusting after a dangerous dud. These simple steps can help to avoid the nightmare scenario of taking home a car that has been clocked, is on outstanding finance, or has even been stolen – as is the case with 30 cars checked by HPI every day. As well as these, by doing an HPI Check, any buyer will have full confidence in their chosen match.
HPI’s Checklist for Car Buyers Looking for the Perfect Match
• Look out for dents. Viewing the car at night or when it’s raining can mask any imperfections such as dents and scratches. Always view a vehicle in the daylight.
• Inspect the paintwork. A dodgy paint job could be hiding something – a possible write-off or worse still a cut ’n’ shut.
• Inspect where the car is parked, are there any leaks?
• Make sure the tread depth on each of the tyres isn’t worn out; you can check this by placing a 20p into the lowest tread. If there is room, the tyres need to be replaced.
• Does the seller have all the relevant documents? The MOT certificate, V5C and service history documents should all be present and correct.
• Ask the seller if they have all the original keys and how many copies exist.
• Check the odometer; do all the digits align correctly? If the odeometer looks as if it has been tampered with the car may have more miles under its belt than it says. A clocked vehicle can be dangerous as routine services can be delayed.
• Does the interior reflect the mileage? Clocking is not uncommon and many firms happily wind back the clock on cars in order to raise the asking price. If the interior looks worn out but the mileage only says 36,000 think twice.
• Look for damage on the steering wheel column and ignition. Any damage could indicate a stolen car.
“We’ve all been there, spotting our dream car in the classifieds, but it is easy to get your fingers burnt by diving in straight away” says Neil Hodson, Managing Director of HPI. “It is essential to do your research properly and check a vehicle’s history before declaring your intentions, otherwise the dream can quickly turn into a nightmare. By keeping your head, and not letting your heart rule your decision making process, car buyers can ensure a long and happy marriage rather than a short lived holiday romance that ends in tears.”
The HPI Check www.hpicheck.com includes a mileage check against the National Mileage Register as standard, now with over 170 million mileage readings. HPI also confirms whether a vehicle is currently recorded as stolen with the police, has outstanding finance against it or has been written off, making it the best way for consumers to protect themselves from fraudsters looking to make a fast profit. In addition, the HPI Check offers a £30,000 Guarantee* in the event of the information it provides being inaccurate, offering added financial peace of mind to used car buyers.
Please click on the link below and feel free to use the image:
HPI Cartoon Car – Guarantee
For further information visit www.hpicheck.com or call 0845 300 8905
Follow us on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/hpicheck
Notes to Editors
Hannah Talbot, Laura Welsh, Madeleine Roles or Justine Hoadley
Tel: 0208 977 9132
Originally established in 1938, HPI Limited is a primary source of vehicle information for the UK motor industry and motoring consumer which, since December 2008, has been owned by Solera Holdings, Inc. Solera Holdings, Inc. is an integrated group of leading automotive claims solutions companies. Founded in January 2005 by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Tony Aquila, Solera has expanded its geographic reach and now serves more than 55,000 business customers in over 50 countries across six continents.
HPI encompasses both the HPI database of all UK road registered vehicle descriptions and histories, and the National Mileage Register (NMR) which holds in excess of 170 million mileage readings.
Together, HPI and NMR represent one of the UK's largest vehicle information sources, combining and interpreting data from government agencies, industry bodies, private organisations, the police and the general public. Registering with HPI helps companies to protect their financial interests in motor vehicles and a wide range of other mobile assets. HPI Checks give purchasers instant confirmation of whether vehicles are correctly described, known to be subject to outstanding finance or serious accident damage, or recorded as stolen or "clocked".
'HPI' and the HPI logo are registered trademarks of HPI Limited.
(1) All prices include VAT and are correct as of 2nd January 2015
(2) Mileage Data is not covered by The HPI Guarantee
*(3) The HPI Guarantee is subject to terms and conditions
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Harrison Sadler in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Motoring, Transport & Logistics, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.